Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jakov Sosic <ja...@srce.hr> on 2011/12/14 11:08:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Strange entries in error_log

Hi,

I use CentOS 5.x with Apache 2.2., and have came across strange error in
error_log:

tr: write error: Broken pipe
tr: write error

There is no timestamp, it happens periodically with no apparent reason.
I have NameVirtualHost in place, and PHP, so I really don't get it why
is this error logged in general log, and there is nothing in the access_log.

I have no idea why this happens. Any help appreciated!

--
Jakov Sosic
www.srce.unizg.hr

Re: [users@httpd] Strange entries in error_log

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> > I use CentOS 5.x with Apache 2.2., and have came across strange
> > error in
> > error_log:
> >
> > tr: write error: Broken pipe
> > tr: write error
> >

> > There is no timestamp, it happens periodically with no apparent
> > reason.
> > I have NameVirtualHost in place, and PHP, so I really don't get it
> > why
> > is this error logged in general log, and there is nothing in the
> > access_log.
> >
> > I have no idea why this happens. Any help appreciated!
> >

> The error log is literally stderr for the apache process. Anything
> run
> in Apache (mod_php) or any process launched by Apache (mod_php
> invoking tr) that prints to stderr will appear in the error log
> without a timestamp, just like that.
>
> So the real question is, what bit of your PHP app is invoking tr.

Or any kind of CGI, for that matter.

But I'm wondering if this couldn't also be caused by a piped log
gone.. very wrong. Anyway, the mod_php/CGI stuff is a good start.

> Cheers
>
> Tom

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883