Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by shafi_363 <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/10 09:25:59 UTC

Axis webservice: connection refused exception (intermittent)

Hi,

I have a question regarding Axis webservice. I get the following exception
intermittently when the axis webservice is contacted from other component.

======================== Exception start =================

2008-03-25 17:18:17,792 ConnectException: Failed to contact Webservice
AxisFault
 faultSubcode:
 faultString: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
 faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:
        {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace:java.net.ConnectException:
Connection refused
        at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor461.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at
        at
org.apache.axis.components.net.DefaultSocketFactory.create(DefaultSocketFactory.java:153)
        at

org.apache.axis.components.net.DefaultSocketFactory.create(DefaultSocketFactory.java:120)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.getSocket(HTTPSender.java:191)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.writeToSocket(HTTPSender.java:404)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:138)
        at
org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrategy.java:32)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:118)
        at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:165)
        ..more
========================= Exception End ==================

Our clients continously call this webservice hosted by my component.
Sometimes it fails with this exception, most of the times it works fine.
Could not make out why this error comes as the host is always up.

Just wondering whether it is some kind of load issue when there are too many
webservice requests at a time.  If so, how can we avoid this load issue. Is
it something which is not handled in Axis 2.0? Upgarding to 3.0 would fix
the issue?

In one of the forums I saw the same kind of problem reported. But the answer
given was to remove xmlsec.jar.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-axis-dev/200411.mbox/%3c19e0530f041116105350f7f973@mail.gmail.com%3e
But I could not find the jar at all in both client, server. Could someone
explain how this exception is related to this jar.

Thanks & Regards,
~Shafi

Re: Axis webservice: connection refused exception (intermittent)

Posted by Matthew Beldyk <ma...@beldyk.org>.
Hi,
I was actually about to type an almost identical question.

We have several axis2 (1.3) webservices running under tomcat (6.0.14)
that are called via a Flex 3 page.   Every once in a while we see an
error from the client, literally:
we'll run a query,
it returns successfully,
we rerun the same query (or something different) and the error appears,
then a second or two later we can rerun the same query and get correct results.

I've been unable to fine any errors in my server-side logs, though the
flex application provides these errors:
Error ID: 0
FaultCode: Client.NoSuchMethod
FaultString: Couldn't find method 'GPSExports' in service.
Message: faultCode:Client.NoSuchMethod

I have not seen this error in any of my axis2 based clients, but that
is likely due to a complete lack of testing of those recently.

This error is something new (within the last week or two) that we
haven't seen in the several months since I began using this particular
stack.  I'm also fairly confident the error is not due to any sort of
load (there was only one application using the service last time I saw
the error, everyone on the team was in the same room for a meeting).

Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be going on, or how
I might begin to track this down.  I'm half tempted to try and talk to
the sysadmin and try to do a little packet sniffing, though I'm
inclined to avoid that due to the sheer volume of traffic that goes in
and out of that machine (and I'd be surprised if he said yes to me
doing something like that).

Best Regards,
Matt Beldyk

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 1:25 AM, shafi_363 <sh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Our clients continously call this webservice hosted by my component.
> Sometimes it fails with this exception, most of the times it works fine.
> Could not make out why this error comes as the host is always up.
>
> Just wondering whether it is some kind of load issue when there are too many
> webservice requests at a time.  If so, how can we avoid this load issue. Is
> it something which is not handled in Axis 2.0? Upgarding to 3.0 would fix
> the issue?
>
> In one of the forums I saw the same kind of problem reported. But the answer
> given was to remove xmlsec.jar.
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-axis-dev/200411.mbox/%3c19e0530f041116105350f7f973@mail.gmail.com%3e
> But I could not find the jar at all in both client, server. Could someone
> explain how this exception is related to this jar.

Calvin: Know what I pray for?
Hobbes: What?
Calvin: The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept
what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference.