Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by bill <wi...@techservsys.com> on 2011/08/24 13:31:19 UTC

I use the oo newsgroup for support. Do not like fora

--
Bill Drescher
william {at} TechServSys {dot} com

Re: I use the oo newsgroup for support. Do not like fora

Posted by NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 08/26/2011 11:52 AM, drew wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 14:21 -0400, Andy Brown wrote:
> <snip>
>> >

>> Personally, I think the subject says it all and to the point.  To bad
>> that all questions to mailing list and fora can not be summed up so easily.
>>

> Hi Andy,
>
> The subject is a wonderfully succinct statement of a preference.
>
> That's good.
>
> That is a consideration, but do not lose sight of what the root issue
> here:
>
> "The sugar daddy has left the house!"
>
> No Corporation with deep pockets and paid staff to due things for the
> community. In the end it will come down to who steps up to perform
> tasks, develop/setup services, perform monitoring and maintenance on
> same.
>
> Ok - let's take a look at total posts.
>
> Just sticking to en, here.
> The user ML open in July 2001
> oooForum goes on line Oct 2002
> user.services goes live Sep 2007.
>
> For most of this time the OO.o site(s) pointed to the ML for support, it
> offered links that even populated a first email, to a subscriber only
> list - as an post from a non-subscribed address [usually].
>
> oooForum for most of this time is the highest ranked source for hits
> under most web search engines.
>
> The following numbers are rough ( but have to start somewhere..)
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/0/04/Ooo-user-support.pdf
>
> I'll update that file over the next few days, with some more precise
> figures and converse as we go.

When you do, you might want to use OOo instead of LO 3.3.3 to do it :-)

Re: I use the oo newsgroup for support. Do not like fora

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 14:21 -0400, Andy Brown wrote:
<snip>

> Personally, I think the subject says it all and to the point.  To bad
> that all questions to mailing list and fora can not be summed up so easily.

Hi Andy,

The subject is a wonderfully succinct statement of a preference.

That's good.

That is a consideration, but do not lose sight of what the root issue
here:

"The sugar daddy has left the house!"

No Corporation with deep pockets and paid staff to due things for the
community. In the end it will come down to who steps up to perform
tasks, develop/setup services, perform monitoring and maintenance on
same.

Ok - let's take a look at total posts.

Just sticking to en, here.
The user ML open in July 2001
oooForum goes on line Oct 2002
user.services goes live Sep 2007.

For most of this time the OO.o site(s) pointed to the ML for support, it
offered links that even populated a first email, to a subscriber only
list - as an post from a non-subscribed address [usually].

oooForum for most of this time is the highest ranked source for hits
under most web search engines.

The following numbers are rough ( but have to start somewhere..)

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/0/04/Ooo-user-support.pdf

I'll update that file over the next few days, with some more precise
figures and converse as we go.

For me, this isn't about wanting to turn off anything - rather about
helping make some smart decisions about how to mix work emphasis.

Thanks,

//drew

Re: I use the oo newsgroup for support. Do not like fora

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Andreas Säger wrote:
> Am 24.08.2011 13:31, bill wrote:
>>
> [yes, bill wrote nothing]
>
> This is the perfect example for a useless, off-topic message copied into
> thousands of inboxes like all the "test" messages, "unsubscribe!" rants,
> TOFU lessons and other bullshit in all the OOo *user* forums.
>
> - In a forum this would have been moved into a quarantine box together
> with a notification for bill. This happens within an hour or so and
> hardly anybody would have noticed the non-issue.
> - If there were some beef in the message, it would have been moved to an
> appropriate subforum with a polite welcome and a hyperlink pointing to
> the forum tutorial. And bill could learn how to find already posted
> solutions and expand on existing topics.
> - If there were spam or other violations of TOC it would have been
> deleted and bill would have been banned.
>
> I like newsgroups and mailing lists for closed circles of collaborating
> subscribers because everybody is notified about everything.
> In the year 2011 emails can not provide good support quality for a
> product like OpenOffice.org.
>
> Just my 2 Cents,
> Andreas

Personally, I think the subject says it all and to the point.  To bad
that all questions to mailing list and fora can not be summed up so easily.

Andy

Re: I use the oo newsgroup for support. Do not like fora

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
IMO the message is useless because it doesn't tell this list anything it
doesn't already know ("Some people prefer medium X to medium Y").
I don't have anything in particular against messages with an empty body
if the entire message fits in the subject line.