Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Varuna Seneviratna <va...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/27 17:25:45 UTC

How to configure tomcat 6.0.36 in Windows 7 to deploy servlets

I extracted tomcat-6.0.36 zip file to c:\tomcat, now root of my tomcat
installation is c:\tomcat. I have set the CLASSPATH  to

".;C:\tomcat\lib\servlet-api.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_10"

Tomcat-6.0.36 is now running and the Home page is displayed

I created the below Servlet
<SERVLET>
import java.io.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class HelloWorld extends HttpServlet {
       public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
	                                throws ServletException, IOException  {

			res.setContentType("text/html");
			PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();

			out.println("<HTML>");
			out.println("<HEAD><TITLE>Hello World</TITLE></HEAD>");
			out.println("BODY")
			out.println("<BIG>Hello World</BIG>");
			out.println("</BODY></HTML>");

		}
}

</SERVLET>

The above Servlet was successfully compiled and the resulting .class
file was placed in the directory /webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
The classes directory was not created when the tomcat zip file was
extraxted so I created it my self.Inside WEB-INF/ directory there is a
web.xml file and I didn't do anything with it.

When I tried to access the Servlet HelloWorld through the url
http://localhost:8080/servlet/HelloWorld the response is
<RESPONSE>
HTTP Status 404 - /servlet/HelloWorld

type Status report

message /servlet/HelloWorld

description The requested resource is not available.
Apache Tomcat/6.0.36
</RESPONSE>

trying with the url http://localhost:8080/servlets/servlet/HelloWorld
resulted in the same response as above

What must be done to get the Servlets deployed?

Thanks

Re: How to configure tomcat 6.0.36 in Windows 7 to deploy servlets

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 27/01/2013 16:25, Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
> I extracted tomcat-6.0.36 zip file to c:\tomcat, now root of my tomcat
> installation is c:\tomcat. I have set the CLASSPATH  to
>
> ".;C:\tomcat\lib\servlet-api.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_10"

Don't do that.  Tomcat configures the classpath for itself.

> Tomcat-6.0.36 is now running and the Home page is displayed
>
> I created the below Servlet
> <SERVLET>
> import java.io.*;
> import javax.servlet.*;
> import javax.servlet.http.*;
>
> public class HelloWorld extends HttpServlet {
>        public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
> 	                                throws ServletException, IOException  {
>
> 			res.setContentType("text/html");
> 			PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();
>

> 			out.println("<HTML>");
> 			out.println("<HEAD><TITLE>Hello World</TITLE></HEAD>");
> 			out.println("BODY")
> 			out.println("<BIG>Hello World</BIG>");
> 			out.println("</BODY></HTML>");
>

> 		}
> }
>
> </SERVLET>
>
> The above Servlet was successfully compiled and the resulting .class
> file was placed in the directory /webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
> The classes directory was not created when the tomcat zip file was
> extraxted so I created it my self.Inside WEB-INF/ directory there is a
> web.xml file and I didn't do anything with it.

You need to specify the Servlet in web.xml.  That would be why it
doesn't work, read the Servlet Specification for more information and
follow the guide here:

 http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/appdev/index.html

Tip: don't modify the existing Tomcat applications, remove/backup the
existing ones and replace them with the ones you create.

> When I tried to access the Servlet HelloWorld through the url
> http://localhost:8080/servlet/HelloWorld the response is
> <RESPONSE>
> HTTP Status 404 - /servlet/HelloWorld
>
> type Status report
>
> message /servlet/HelloWorld
>
> description The requested resource is not available.
> Apache Tomcat/6.0.36
> </RESPONSE>
>
> trying with the url http://localhost:8080/servlets/servlet/HelloWorld
> resulted in the same response as above
>
> What must be done to get the Servlets deployed?
>
> Thanks

[key:62590808]