Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ian P Blackburn <ib...@csc.com> on 2006/08/21 14:42:37 UTC

[users@httpd] No Form data being passed to Scripts

Hi

I have a utility I have deployed to a HP-UX webserver which has both Apache
2 & Apache 1.3.
The utility accepts parameters populated on a html form which is submitted
and the
values of this form is used to run a ksh script.  However, when this html
page is loaded using
Apache 2 there are no values being passed from the html form POST action.
If I load the page
using Apache 1.3 it works perfectly.

any Suggestions ?

cheers

Ian Blackburn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for such purpose.

Re: [users@httpd] No Form data being passed to Scripts

Posted by Ian P Blackburn <ib...@csc.com>.

Hi Nick

Is there any reason why it works under apache 1.3 but not under apache 2 on
the same box ?

cheers

Ian Blackburn

             Nick Kew
             <nick@webthing.co
                                       users@httpd.apache.org
             21/08/2006 15:49                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [users@httpd] No Form data
             users@httpd.apach         being passed to Scripts
                   e.org

On Monday 21 August 2006 15:37, Ian P Blackburn wrote:
> Hi
>
> The html form tag is :
>
> <FORM  METHOD="POST" ACTION="/cgi-bin/bom_report.ksh">
>
> The korn shell script bom_report.ksh reads in the parameters from stdin
> using the unix function "read" which reads input from standard input
> and then assigns it to a variable,
>
> read Arg1

That's line-oriented, and therefore not compatible with the CGI spec.
It may work with particular CGI implementations, but only by coincidence.

Your script cannot assume it'll get an EOF, let alone lineends.

--
Nick Kew

Re: [users@httpd] No Form data being passed to Scripts

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by Ian P Blackburn <ib...@csc.com>.

Hi

The html form tag is :

<FORM  METHOD="POST" ACTION="/cgi-bin/bom_report.ksh">

The korn shell script bom_report.ksh reads in the parameters from stdin
using the unix function "read" which reads input from standard input
and then assigns it to a variable,

read Arg1

Then a post-query executable decodes the string which was assigned to the
variable "Arg1".

cheers

Ian Blackburn

             "Joshua Slive"
             <jo...@slive.ca>
                                       users@httpd.apache.org
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [users@httpd] No Form data
                                       being passed to Scripts

On 8/21/06, Ian P Blackburn <ib...@csc.com> wrote:

> I have a utility I have deployed to a HP-UX webserver which has both
Apache
> 2 & Apache 1.3.
> The utility accepts parameters populated on a html form which is
submitted
> and the
> values of this form is used to run a ksh script.  However, when this html
> page is loaded using
> Apache 2 there are no values being passed from the html form POST action.
> If I load the page
> using Apache 1.3 it works perfectly.

Show us the simplest possible script that demonstrates the problem.
Personally, I can't imagine how you are accessing POST parameters from
a ksh script.  How are you reading and decoding standard input?

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] No Form data being passed to Scripts

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.