Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/07/16 04:08:50 UTC

Configure blues

We really need the ability to test for the existance of a library.  But
since Configure doesn't actually even read CC/etc from the Configuration
file (it just copies them to the Makefile) it's not possible to do the
tests properly.  The test should be something like:

    $(CC) -c $(INCLUDES) $(CFLAGS) helpers/dummy.c -o helpers/dummy.o
    $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o helpers/dummy helpers/dummy.o -ltestlib

Where dummy.c is:

    int main(void)
    {
	return 0;
    }

If the second CC fails then assume the lib doesn't exist.

Anyone want to make Configure actually load up the values from Configuration
rather than just copying them?

My specific applications are:

- test for -lcrypt on linux, as it's needed by the newer C libraries
    which are default on alpha and ppc, but not on sparc or x86 yet

- test for -ldb when mod_auth_db is included

- test for -ldbm, -lndbm when mod_auth_dbm is included

Dean

Re: Configure blues

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Actually the cool way to do this with Ken's latest patch would be to just
generate a tiny makefile that includes Makefile.config.

Dean