Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Jason Frank <j_...@yahoo.com> on 2009/03/05 20:02:12 UTC

Using the __V function in an HTTP sampler

I'm trying to accomplish something relatively basic, and getting stuck.  I want to use the __V() function in order to get the value of a variable, whose name I have to generate from another varible.  (I've seen this referred to as a "nested variable".)

I have an HTTP Sampler inside of a Loop controller, and I want to send the evaluated variable's value as one of the request params.  In the section titled "Send Parameters With the Request", I add a parameter with name foo, and value of ${__V(gameId_${C})}, where C is the name of a counter variable.  What I want to happen is that in the first iteration, the param foo gets the value of the evaluation of variable ${gameId_1}, then in the next iteration around the loop it would use the evaluation of ${gameId_2} and so forth.

When I look at the HTTP Sampler request, what I see is foo=${__V(gameId_${C})}. This implies that the function is not running at all.  Perhaps I am confused about where to put function calls, but the reference says they can go just about anywhere in the test.  I also tried setting a different parameter's value to another function, ${__time(YMD)}, just to see if it was something particular to the variables I was trying to use.  This also resulted in the literal ${__time(YMD)} being included in the request, rather than the function's result.

If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Re: Using the __V function in an HTTP sampler

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 06/03/2009, Jason Frank <j_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Somehow I managed to make it work.  I don't know what changed exactly, I was experimenting around a lot, and then it started working.  It was quite frustrating but I gave up trying to understand it.
>
>  Is there a good place to post examples of how things can be done?  I now have a working example of something that I've seen a lot of people ask questions about, and if I had been able to find a working example of it, it would have saved me a lot of time.

The JMeter Wiki is the place for this.

Posted by Jason Frank <j_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.