Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/01 09:25:24 UTC

Re: Memtable tuning in 1.0 and higher

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Joost van de Wijgerd
<jw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the currentThoughput is increased even before the data is merged into the
> memtable so it is actually measuring the throughput afaik.

You're right.  I've attached a patch to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-4399 to fix this.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Memtable tuning in 1.0 and higher

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Joost,
	Part of Jonathans explanation for flushing every approx 5 minutes was to reduce the size of the commit log, and reduce the replay time.

	Even with the patch flushing memtables is necessary at some point to truncate the log. If this is an issue consider disabling durable_writes on the KS to bypass the commit log. Obviously there are some dangers involved, but it sounds like it may be acceptable to you.

	Hope that helps.

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer