Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/01 22:00:58 UTC

Re: AW: RESTful email [WAS Re: MailboxManager API and session orientation was: Jsieve Configuration]

On 1/31/07, Andrew C. Oliver <ac...@buni.org> wrote:

> > the resources that i think are of interest are emails, meta-data about
> > emails, collections of emails and meta-data about collections of
> > emails. these concepts already have natural correspondents in HTTP and
> > WebDAV
> >
> U/F it looks like although WEBDAV would be natural, just getting a list
> O'stuff in a folder is not very terse...I wonder how bad this would be...

had a talk with some of the DAV folks last year. AIUI the right way to
do it would be to standardize a  small amount of email specific stuff
on top of DAV (rather than force everything to work within DAV).

a lot could be achieve by using DAV properties to access email
specific meta-data (for example unread counts)

but yes, xml is the preferred DAV format. it's not as terse as
standard email formats  and would require parsing. so yes, the
question would be how big an impact this would be.

i'm interested in associating and sharing meta-data with email so i'm
willing to trade a little verbosity for being able to create servers
and clients more easily.

- robert

Re: AW: RESTful email [WAS Re: MailboxManager API and session orientation was: Jsieve Configuration]

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/1/07, Andrew C. Oliver <ac...@buni.org> wrote:
> You know who is doing this really successfully and even made it a key
> upselling point?
> I imagine there are even performance numbers for it.  I know I'm
> speaking heresy...

yeh (but i'm trying to learn as little as possible about it). i
suspect that sooner or later they'll start showing up on the DAV lists
(if this idea ever gets off the ground). then we might all learn more.

it should be considerably easier to make a more reasonable but more
verbose protocol run at adequately speeds than IMAP

- robert

Re: AW: RESTful email [WAS Re: MailboxManager API and session orientation was: Jsieve Configuration]

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.
You know who is doing this really successfully and even made it a key
upselling point?
I imagine there are even performance numbers for it.  I know I'm
speaking heresy...

> had a talk with some of the DAV folks last year. AIUI the right way to
> do it would be to standardize a  small amount of email specific stuff
> on top of DAV (rather than force everything to work within DAV).
>
> a lot could be achieve by using DAV properties to access email
> specific meta-data (for example unread counts)
>
> but yes, xml is the preferred DAV format. it's not as terse as
> standard email formats  and would require parsing. so yes, the
> question would be how big an impact this would be.
>
> i'm interested in associating and sharing meta-data with email so i'm
> willing to trade a little verbosity for being able to create servers
> and clients more easily.
>
> - robert

No PST Files Ever Again
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
Email, Calendaring, ease of configuration/administration
http://buni.org