Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/27 04:30:41 UTC

T5 : The book - next steps

Here are a couple of the next steps that I think would be useful in moving
the effort forward:

1. Post a rough outline of the table of contents in the book (initially,
probably on the wiki). I have a couple of ideas in mind, I think that a good
starting point would be the same/similar chapters as in "Tapestry in Action"
book by Manning, with additional chapters to cover things like Hibernate,
Spring, AJAX, etc. integration

2. Experiment somewhat w/ the publishing / collaboration methodology.

  In line with Geertjan's suggestion (
http://blogs.sun.com/geertjan/entry/collaborative_writing_in_a_distributed)
to run this as a development project:  I have this image in my head how I
have the doc-book php app set up and running against a Mercurial repository
somewhere on a server. Simultaneously, all "major" chapter contributors /
owners have a local mercurial repository for working on their personal
content, and pushing daily/weekly their advances in their chapters to a
shared central repository (e.g. one of the Hg hosting facilities - e.g.
http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/MercurialHosting). The
changes from the doc-book wiki can be reviewed and pushed to the central
repo on a weekly basis as well.

   I guess my main reason for thinking of Mercurial (or a DVCS for that
matter) is that one can work pretty much independently on a set of changes
and then push them out to a shared Hg repo.

3. One of my areas of concern is how the merging of xml/docbook would work
in the long term. I know it's just text, but I'd imagine the doc-book
project will probably have it's own way of editing content and converting it
into docbook , while manual editing might create a slightly different set of
tags. Having used ClearCase for a while at my job, I know that merging XML
could sometimes be a pain in the rear, so I'd like to experiment early and
see if the docbook approach is viable in that respect.

4. I was thinking of pinging Alexander Kolesnikov and see if he would be
willing/able to contribute a chapter or two from his book to the effort

5. I think it would be best if we use either an existing "examples" project
(e.g. like jumpstart) or take one and modify it to fit under a particular
theme that gets developed throughout the book (e.g. the Wicket book has a
Cheese store or something like that) and is kept in running order w/
official 'releases' of the book. Any ideas about the theme of such an app ?
"Releasing" a version of the book could possibly involve building the output
formats, building the sample code, and even possibly running some "automated
acceptance tests" on the code.

Here are a couple more outstanding and pesky issues that are still very
murky in my head :
1. Would a book like this be published under some open source license (e.g.
I know that there are a couple of 'open source' books, e.g. the CVS book the
SVN book, etc) , maybe Creative commons ?

2. How to make the decisions regarding a book's content ? Would it be some
voting involved ? E.g. if someone thinks a particular chapter should be in
the book, and others don't agree, how to decide if the chapter is in the
book or no (here comes the concept of "committers" again)

3. Can we continue using this T5 users list or discussions regarding the
book are a distraction ?

I'm really very positively surprised by the amount of feedback so far, and
I'm very curious to see how far we can take this. Please comment on any of
the ideas above, rip me to shreds if you think this is the wrong way of
doing it.

Cheers,

Alex Kotchnev

Re: T5 : The book - next steps

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.
inline

Alex Kotchnev wrote:
> Would there be any value to having a top-level domain for the book (e.g.
> tapestry-book.org or something like that), or can we find it a home for the
> book somewhere under the Tapestry namespace ?

A top-level domain should brink more visibility to the effort. Also, in
the future we could probably spend some of the monetary payback to pay
for the domain and some hosting solution so that we could include the
live version of the book application and other cool stuff.
Still, for now i think we can live with a project on some project
hosting site where we can host the book files and wiki.
> A note on the potential mode for governing decisions : I was thinking that
> in the next couple of days, I'll post a list of possible chapters to include
> in the book. Then, we can collect a first set of volunteers for people take
> ownership of each chapter. After the initial set of volunteers, the chapter
> owners will vote on addition of new chapters and giving ownership of
> chapters to new contributors (if needed).

Shouldn't the outline be already created in a tapestry-book wiki ?
We could decide on where to host it and then move the discussion to the
dedicated list and use its wiki for the outline.

> On whether the book would cover additional libraries (e.g. chennilekit,
> t5components): I think that after we get to a good place where we have
> enough content on the core we can probably spend some time on those as well,
> possibly with contributions from the project owners. Conceptually, it would
> be impossible to include all 3rd party / contrib libraries in the book (or
> it will always be incomplete) . I guess my point is that I think we'd want
> to describe Tapestry and most essential additions (e.g. t5-hibernate,
> t5-spring, etc).

While it's true that if we go down the line of including third party
libraries it will always be incomplete and maybe unfair to some i think
it would be important to cover the ones that we consider the most used.
We could go with a voting process where each one would say the top 2 or
3 third party libraries in his opinion. The top 2 or 3 would get
included in the book.

Re: T5 : The book - next steps

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.

Re: T5 : The book - next steps