Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Prakrati Agrawal <Pr...@mu-sigma.com> on 2012/06/08 09:14:38 UTC

Problem in adding a new node

Dear all,

I had a 1 node cluster of Cassandra. Then I added one more node to it and started Cassandra on it. I got the following error:

INFO 12:44:49,588 Loading persisted ring state
ERROR 12:44:49,613 Exception in thread Thread[COMMIT-LOG-ALLOCATOR,5,main]
java.io.IOError: java.io.IOException: Map failed
                at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogSegment.<init>(CommitLogSegment.java:127)
                at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogAllocator$3.run(CommitLogAllocator.java:191)
                at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogAllocator$1.runMayThrow(CommitLogAllocator.java:95)
                at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:30)
                at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Map failed
                at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map(FileChannelImpl.java:748)
                at org.apache.cassandra.db.commitlog.CommitLogSegment.<init>(CommitLogSegment.java:119)
                ... 4 more
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Map failed
                at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map0(Native Method)
                at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.map(FileChannelImpl.java:745)

Please tell me what is the reason for this error and how should I rectify it.

Thanks and Regards
Prakrati

________________________________
This email message may contain proprietary, private and confidential information. The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entities to which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be illegal. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the message from your system.

Mu Sigma takes all reasonable steps to ensure that its electronic communications are free from viruses. However, given Internet accessibility, the Company cannot accept liability for any virus introduced by this e-mail or any attachment and you are advised to use up-to-date virus checking software.

Re: Problem in adding a new node

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
Do you use a 32 bit JVM ? If so I refer you to the following thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-user/201204.mbox/%3CCALdd-zgthkSC2bikp3H4TRjxO5VCnhKL2WpWcLSf+d9SQtycow@mail.gmail.com%3E

In short, avoids 32 bits, but if you really cannot, set
commitlog_total_space_in_mb to a low value (128-256MB)

--
Sylvain

Posted by Prakrati Agrawal <Pr...@mu-sigma.com>.
Yes I gave the ip address of the 1st node in the seeds option

Thanks and Regards
Prakrati
the node which you added in that (cassandra.yaml file)give the ip address of 1st node in seeds option.

Regards
Arshad