Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Sudhir S. Shetty" <ss...@powershare.net> on 2002/07/16 08:01:59 UTC

LOG4J Dtd

Hi Ceki,
               I still receive the erroe with regards to the log4j.dtd? I
have mailed you a zip file containing the test cases .

regards,
Sudhir

Re[2]: LOG4J Dtd

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello Sudhir,

Xerces cannot go in WEB-INF/lib.  It violates the sun classloading
spec which Tomcat has been enforcing since the release of 4.0.2.  You
likely would have gotten some exceptions related to this in 4.0.2 and
4.0.3 because the way they implemented the enforcement was flawed.
This was fixed in 4.0.4 and I think the XML/DOM libraries put into
WEB-INF/lib are simply ignored now.
Also, if you want to use the newer Xerces and you are using
j2sdk1.4.x, you need to put Xerces in JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/endorsed.  You
will have to create the "endorsed" directory.  This triggers the new
"Endorsed Standards Override Mechanism".  If you don't do this, the
version of xerces that comes in the JDK will override any version you
attempt to put in your classpath.  Read about it here:
http://barracuda.enhydra.org/cvs_source/Barracuda/docs/j2se1_4.html

After doing that, the Xerces version that you put there will,
essentially, act as part of the JDK and will override other cases of
Xerces being in the classpath.  Note that in Tomcat-4.1.x, they
provide a similar endorsed mechanism specifically for Tomcat in
TOMCAT_HOME/common/endorsed and that should override the endorsed
version of the JDK.  I would stick with putting xerces in the JDK
endorsed directory, though, because it will then be available for
java compilation and other apps on the system than just Tomcat.

If you are using JDK1.3.x, then just put it in the classpath somewhere
and then for Tomcat, put it in TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.  Make sure
there are no other xerces versions there as well.

The log4j jar file should still go in the WEB-INF/lib of your webapp.

See if the above fixes your issue.

Jake

Thursday, July 18, 2002, 12:33:50 AM, you wrote:

SSS> Hi Ceki,
SSS>               I have removed all the struts -definitions , and still I get
SSS> the same error , I am using Tomcat 4.04 and xerces 2.2  and log4J1.2.5.
SSS> I have placed the xerces2.2 jar and the  log4j.jar in the application
SSS> Web-Inf\liob directory, as well as the tomcat common directory.
SSS> I still get the same error , should i upgrade my tomcat version to 4.1.7.?
SSS> The following used to work when i Had an earlier cersion of log4J and the
SSS> xerces 1.4.4 version.
SSS> Kindly guide me,
SSS> regards,
SSS> Sudhir