Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@wired.com> on 1995/10/12 18:38:31 UTC

Re: SSL (fwd)

In message <95...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>, Ben Laurie writes:
>It also seems that the legality of publishing it in the rest of the world is
>not entirely clear.

If crypto software is written outside the US it can be imported to the US.
But once something is in the US it can't leave the US.  Since you're
outside the US there aren't any huge problems -- it just means that the
SSL code has to go in an export controlled area on apache.org, and it also
needs to be available on a server outside the US.  I think if you dig
around on www.eff.org you'll find the appropriate references.  There's
more information on http://avalon.caltech.edu/~thanne/law.html.

Dean

Re: SSL (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> In message <95...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>, Ben Laurie writes:
> >It also seems that the legality of publishing it in the rest of the world is
> >not entirely clear.
>
> If crypto software is written outside the US it can be imported to the US.
> But once something is in the US it can't leave the US.  Since you're
> outside the US there aren't any huge problems -- it just means that the
> SSL code has to go in an export controlled area on apache.org, and it also
> needs to be available on a server outside the US.  I think if you dig
> around on www.eff.org you'll find the appropriate references.  There's
> more information on http://avalon.caltech.edu/~thanne/law.html.

I think he may be concerned about his country's laws as much as ours.
We're not the only paranoid country.  :)

Last time this came up, Paul mentioned that the FreeBSD group found that
South Africa was the (best? only?) place to put export-controlled stuff.
I don't want to put up an "export-controlled" directory on apache.org
because there's no way to ensure that (look at the reverse-DNS lookup?
yeah right!) and the feds will crack down eventually...

	Brian