Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Linus Nikander <li...@nikander.net> on 2003/07/02 09:38:01 UTC

Internationalization on a larger scale.

I'm pretty new to Struts usage so it might be i'm overlooking an obvious
solution to this. The thing I've been looking at Internationalization issues
concerned with Struts. The thought of being able to change the whole
language of a site simply by changing the locale of the user really appeals
to me. All examples i've seen so far use parallel versions of the
ApplicationResources.properties file to accomplish this. Whilst this may be
feasibel for a fairly small site I don't see how this solution would hold up
for a large site (with serveral hundred concurrent requests to anyone of
several thousand pages).

The problems/questions I can see are:

As a single textfile is used, when there are several thousand entries it
will become difficult to manage.
Can updates be made, during operation, to the contets. What happens if a
user requests the files content while it is being edited ?
Is the textfile cached for performance, or will concurrent calls compete for
the same file-resource ?

As I'm probably not the first person who is trying to use Struts on a larger
scale for internationalization issues I thought someone might have a better
solution. Suggestions ?

//Linus Nikander - linus@nikander.net

Re: Internationalization on a larger scale.

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vi...@baseBeans.com>.
There is a DB driven resource bundle on struts.sf.net.

--
Vic Cekvenich,
Struts Instructor,

Advanced <a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Training</a> and project recovery in North East.
Open Source <a href ="baseBeans.com">Content Management</a>  basicPortal sofware
Best practice<a href ="baseBeans.com">Struts Support</a> v.1.1 helper ScafflodingXPress

Re: Internationalization on a larger scale.

Posted by Sebastien Flacher <sf...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Linus,