Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/13 07:10:02 UTC

Java EE 8 versions of APIs

I did a small gap-analysis of where we're still short on Java EE 8 APIs from the perspective of our javaee-api jar:

 - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2620

Specific callouts are these APIs are also implementations, so switching to the equivalent Jakarta version also gains a compliant implementation:

 - javax.activation 1.1 vs 1.2
 - javax.security.jacc 1.4 vs 1.6
 - javax.mail 1.5 vs 1.6

This one is a flaw in my reporting, it's included in Tomcat:

 - javax.security.auth.message 1.0 vs 1.1 (JASPIC)

We should likely use the exact version cxf requires of this:

 - javax.xml.ws 2.2 vs 2.3 (JAX-WS)

These we will likely not be able to change as the corresponding implementations aren't there:

 - javax.enterprise.concurrent 1.0 vs 1.1
 - javax.resource 1.6 vs 1.7
 - javax.transaction 1.2 vs 1.3 (JTA)

If we ship TomEE 8.0 with just those three lagging APIs, that would be pretty good.  Shipping a final with 8 lagging libraries, less fantastic.

What do people think about the potential upgrades?

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
See comments below
--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:10 AM David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I did a small gap-analysis of where we're still short on Java EE 8 APIs
> from the perspective of our javaee-api jar:
>
>  - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2620
>
> Specific callouts are these APIs are also implementations, so switching to
> the equivalent Jakarta version also gains a compliant implementation:
>
>  - javax.activation 1.1 vs 1.2
>  - javax.security.jacc 1.4 vs 1.6
>  - javax.mail 1.5 vs 1.6

We have geronimo versions for all of them. I worked to make JavaMail
compliant for instance.
I just need to trigger some votes for api and provider.
Happy to use the jakarta versions if the EPL licence is fine for everyone.

> This one is a flaw in my reporting, it's included in Tomcat:
>
>  - javax.security.auth.message 1.0 vs 1.1 (JASPIC)

We use Tomcat APIs when applicable already (servlet, websocket), so not a
big deal. We have a tomcat classifier for Tomcat usage where we take
already provided APIs off the java api. So we should be good to use Tomcat
jar.

> We should likely use the exact version cxf requires of this:
>
>  - javax.xml.ws 2.2 vs 2.3 (JAX-WS)
>
> These we will likely not be able to change as the corresponding
> implementations aren't there:
>
>  - javax.enterprise.concurrent 1.0 vs 1.1
>  - javax.resource 1.6 vs 1.7
>  - javax.transaction 1.2 vs 1.3 (JTA)

Those don't exist indeed and we need to create them

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Thanks David.

Fantastic job with the review and summary. I am currently working on
Jakarta EE 8 compliancy. I have noticed some gaps and attempted to fix some
of them.

I'm happy to give it a try with them but the 3 last until we can move on.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Security and annotations are up for vote.
I have JavaMail 1.6 created and almost ready for VOTE.

We don't have standalone TCK to run for those, but when they are released,
I'll get them all integrated and I'll push a TCK build on TomEE so we have
a view on what we need to fix.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com>.
Okay; for EDL I see it's compatible with Apache licensing, but
strangely, JAXB license does not look like an EDL:
https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jaxb-api/blob/2.3.2/LICENSE.md

Am I mistaking or this is actually "cheesy" ?

Kind regads,
Alexandre

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by David Blevins <db...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

How about JAXB which is not EPL but EDL 1.0 ?
(see https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jaxb-api/tree/2.3.2)

Kind regards,
Alexandre

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
This is really the better thread to talk about how to handle the gaps in our Java EE 8 APIs and support.

As noted, there is not license victory to be won.  We have had EPL and CDDL dependencies since v1.0 in 2011.

From a Geronimo perspective, we typed in the APIs and created all those spec jars because there were no open source options that weren't the JBoss GPL versions.  GlassFish didn't exist yet.  When GlassFish came about, we kept up the practice largely out of habit.  We did have an unavoidable CDDL via the xml schemas and JAXB RI, so our licensing victory wasn't quite there.

Re: Java EE 8 versions of APIs

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
David,

May I ask where you got all the versions please?
I was looking at this page and I see some mismatches.