Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/09 01:10:10 UTC

JDBC proxy implementing Lucene?

Hi, Just an idea to make Lucene work with databases more easily.

When I communicated with Shay Banon(Compass' author), it came to me
that maybe Lucene can be wrapped around JDBC drivers. Let's say it's
L-JDBC.

So whenever an object is stored through JDBC, according to some XML
configuration file, L-JDBC can index the updated object/document, or
delete it from the index.

Basically make Lucene indexing transparent to new/existing applications.

Not really a super idea. I am wondering anyone will find it helpful?

--
Chris Lu

Re: JDBC proxy implementing Lucene?

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
An reuseable aspect will be extremely useful. And it's much more
feasible than the JDBC approach.

This will only benefit applications already using ORM tools. But this
should be the trend though.

Posted by Shay Banon <ki...@mac.com>.
Hi,

    That is exactly the path I took with Compass and Hibernate. Compass
integrates with Hibernate events (update/delete/create) and syncs the
search engine using it. I had problems with Hibernate 2 interceptors
(external id is null, and other stuff) so it currently works only with
Hibernate events. The nice thing about Compass, is that once the
application works on the Object level for the search as well (OSEM),
than it becomes very simple to do it. Compass simply registers with
Hibernate events, and persist to the search engine any changes made to
objects that have both ORM (obviously) and OSEM definitions.

    One can than extend the notion of intercepting and actually define a
generic Aspect (AOP) for search engine syncs. Which can be applied to
any application, as long as it has OSEM - Object to Search Engine
mappings (or any other type of mappings), since you must have some kind
of knowledge how to combine the two.

    Shay

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chris,