Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Saloucious <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/04 11:49:19 UTC

Error bumping revisions post-commit on move / commit

Hi,

I'm actually on a project where I need to create and move a lot of
directories and i've got an bumping error in logs.

I've tried to recreate the error with a little script (running on Ubunti
9.04 + Subversion v1.5.1)

This script fails
-----------------------------------
#Create a new project and import it
mkdir -p $newproject/dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4
touch  $newproject/dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/test.html
touch  $newproject/dir1/dir2/dir3/test.html
svn import -m "init" $newproject/ svn://localhost/repo/$newproject

#Checkout the new project and move 2 directories
svn checkout svn://localhost/repo/$newproject $project
cd $project
mkdir -p src/main/java
svn add src/
svn move dir1/dir2/dir3 src/main/java/
svn move dir1/ src/main/
svn commit -m "ko" ./

Here is the commit log :
Deleting       dir1
Adding         src
Adding         src/main
Adding         src/main/dir1
Deleting       src/main/dir1/dir2/dir3
Adding         src/main/java
Adding         src/main/java/dir3
svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
svn: Directory
'/home/bguerout/projects/a_test_co/src/main/dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4' is missing
svn: Directory
'/home/bguerout/projects/a_test_co/src/main/dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4' is missing

And svn status log :
D      dir1
D      dir1/dir2
D      dir1/dir2/dir3
D      dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4
D      dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/test.html
D      dir1/dir2/dir3/test.html
A      src
A      src/main
A  +   src/main/dir1
D  +   src/main/dir1/dir2/dir3
D  +   src/main/dir1/dir2/dir3/test.html
A      src/main/java
A  +   src/main/java/dir3

The commit command has succeed but my working copy is locked and clean-up do
no work.

But if I change the third line 'touch  $newproject/dir1/dir2/dir3/test.html'
to 'touch  $newproject/dir1/dir2/test.html', everything is ok.

Any ideas

Thanks.

Re: Error bumping revisions post-commit on move / commit

Posted by Saloucious <sa...@gmail.com>.
Andrey Repin-3 wrote:

> Greetings, Saloucious!

>>> As I said, do a commit in between.
>
>> Sure this is a solution (the one i choosed), but force me to commit a
>> half
>> job done (integration errors ...)
>
> Then set a lock on branch or tree you're working with.
> And, please, don't top-post. Thanks.
>

> --
> WBR,
>  Andrey Repin (anrdaemon@freemail.ru) 06.05.2009, <13:30>
>
> Sorry for my terrible english...

Yeah sorry i'm using Nabble which have a default top-posting.

Re: Error bumping revisions post-commit on move / commit

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Saloucious!

Posted by Saloucious <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.
>> I've tested my script again with 2 others cases (only changed lines):
>>
>> svn move dir1/ src/main/
>> svn move dir1/dir2/dir3 src/main/java/
>>
>> and
>>
>> svn move dir1/ src/main/
>> svn move src/main/dir1/dir2/dir3 src/main/java/
>>
>> Same behaviour with a bumping error on commit...
>>
> As I said, do a commit in between.

Yes but, understandably, some of us consider this a terrible solution.
 Given that the commit does the right thing but the working copy bump
doesn't, it's clearly a bug (possibly in design).

Surely the version bump should work for anything that is valid for the
commit to succeed with - certainly committing in-between isn't an
option as other consumers of the repository could get broken content.

I've reported this before and have given up expecting it to be fixed
(by all accounts the WC code is a nightmare). I've just had to accept
that I'll sometimes need to blow away parts of my working copy after a
commit - and by accept, I mean, hoping that WC-NG doesn't have this
problem or that bazaar GUI support and tool integration improves soon.

--
Talden

Re: Error bumping revisions post-commit on move / commit

Posted by Olivier Sannier <ob...@free.fr>.

Posted by Saloucious <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Saloucious <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.