Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2001/09/10 14:17:08 UTC

Tomcat 4 Documentation

I have a couple of suggestions for the new Tomcat 4 documentation.

1.  In addition to the browser window title bar, put the name of the
    documentation being viewed just below the Tomcat page header.

2.  Provide a way to display a printer friendly version of the documents
    so they can be viewed/printed without the left navigation menu.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: Tomcat 4 Documentation

Posted by "TAKAHASHI Hideo(BSD-M1G)" <hi...@bisd.hitachi.co.jp>.
OK, I checked the nightly build.

I have to say sorry because I found out another table tag that needs to
be fixed the same way.  The one inside subsection also needs to be
changed to avoid clipping.  I think I lost track of what I modified in
my first report.  I should have used diff or something rather than rely
on my memory.  This time I checked with windiff.

regards,
Hideo

Re: Tomcat 4 Documentation

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat 4 Documentation

Posted by "TAKAHASHI Hideo(BSD-M1G)" <hi...@bisd.hitachi.co.jp>.
Hi.

Re: Tomcat 4 Documentation

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Jonathan Eric Miller wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:31:01 -0500
> From: Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 4 Documentation

Craig

Re: Tomcat 4 Documentation

Posted by Jonathan Eric Miller <je...@uchicago.edu>.

Re: Tomcat 4 Documentation

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:17:08 -0500
> > From: Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>
> > To: Tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> > Subject: Tomcat 4 Documentation
> >
> > I have a couple of suggestions for the new Tomcat 4 documentation.
> >
> > 1.  In addition to the browser window title bar, put the name of the
> >     documentation being viewed just below the Tomcat page header.
> >

> This one was easy (stylesheets are your friend ;-).
>
> > 2.  Provide a way to display a printer friendly version of the documents
> >     so they can be viewed/printed without the left navigation menu.
> >

> I'm going to have to do a little thinking about how to do this gracefully.
> It's a good idea, but may or may not get done in time for this release
> (unless someone else comes up with a patch).

This can easily be done for documentation if it is running in Apache or
Tomcat with SSI by doing an SSI include.  i.e. The default pages do a SSI
of the printer friendly version.  The menu bar contains a link to the
printer friendly version so it can be viewed separately.

Of course this won't work for viewing the docs outside of a container that
supports SSI.

Re: Tomcat 4 Documentation

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 07:17:08 -0500
> From: Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>
> To: Tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat 4 Documentation
>
> I have a couple of suggestions for the new Tomcat 4 documentation.
>
> 1.  In addition to the browser window title bar, put the name of the
>     documentation being viewed just below the Tomcat page header.

This one was easy (stylesheets are your friend ;-).

> 2.  Provide a way to display a printer friendly version of the documents
>     so they can be viewed/printed without the left navigation menu.

I'm going to have to do a little thinking about how to do this gracefully.
It's a good idea, but may or may not get done in time for this release
(unless someone else comes up with a patch).

> Regards,
>
> Glenn

Craig