Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Crucius, Wesley" <WC...@sandc.com> on 2004/03/23 19:26:35 UTC

Thanks and a global versioning question; WAS:: Help: XML Parser e rror, Date Conversion failed

You guys are both the greatest, and I'm really warming up to subversion (AND
Tortoise)(coming from VSS that not saying much, but I really do like it).

On a side note, what do you think of the idea of a post commit script that
automatically tags every commit?  My proposed users aren't going to like (or
understand) the global revision number so I'm hoping if I use a post commit
script to create a "YYYYMMDDHHMMSS" sort of a tag, they may never notice the
global revision number...

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Wes Crucius

Posted by Tom Vergote <to...@tomvergote.be>.
On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 20:26, Crucius, Wesley wrote:
> [snip]
>  My proposed users aren't going to like (or
> understand) the global revision number
I'm facing the same problem and that's why i'm considering a repository
per project, "the project gets a new revision every time someone
commits" seems easier than "something in the repository got committed so
everything has a new revision now, and thats why that project jumped to
rev 317 even though it's still only a html design"

Posted by Bruce Elrick <br...@elrick.ca>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 13:26, Crucius, Wesley wrote:
>

>>On a side note, what do you think of the idea of a post commit script that
>>automatically tags every commit?  My proposed users aren't going to like (or
>>understand) the global revision number so I'm hoping if I use a post commit
>>script to create a "YYYYMMDDHHMMSS" sort of a tag, they may never notice the
>>global revision number...
>

> Trying to make your users use Subversion without noticing/using the
> global revision numbers is like asking them to drive a car after
> removing the tires.
>
> Besides, every global revision already *has* a date attached to it... so
> I don't understand how it would be useful to present your users with a
> directory full of subdirectories named "YYYMMDDHHMMSS"?  That would be
> *less* confusing?

I could see it appealing to people for the same reason that path-space
tagging/branching by cheap copies is appealing.  With CVS, tags and
branches are in a different space from the directory structure, but
SubVersion allows you to map that into the path-space.  He's simply
mapping Subversion revisions the same way.  It doesn't buy you nearly as
much as the original CVS-tags to SVN-path mapping, but hey, to each his

Re: Thanks and a global versioning question; WAS:: Help: XML Parser e rror, Date Conversion failed

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.