Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Marko Asplund <ma...@ixonos.com> on 2012/12/13 21:18:38 UTC

ConnectionPoolTimeoutException with multi-threaded HttpClient usage

Hi,

I'm having problems using HttpClient in a multi-threaded environment.
When HttpClient.execute is called I occasionally get the following
error, even when there
probably should be connections available in the pool.

org.apache.http.conn.ConnectionPoolTimeoutException: Timeout waiting
for connection from pool
        at org.apache.http.impl.conn.PoolingClientConnectionManager.leaseConnection(PoolingClientConnectionManager.java:232)
[httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
        at org.apache.http.impl.conn.PoolingClientConnectionManager$1.getConnection(PoolingClientConnectionManager.java:199)
[httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
        at org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.execute(DefaultRequestDirector.java:455)
[httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
        at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:906)
[httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
        at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:805)
[httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
        at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:784)
[httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]

Should I explicitly release the connection after each HTTP request is executed?
Is there something else that should be done to clean up after each request?
The HC tutorial recommends passing a per-thread HttpContext object to
HC.execute but is this required?
What kind of state is actually stored in HttpContext?

Below is a simplified version of the code.

// one-time initialization
PoolingClientConnectionManager cm = new PoolingClientConnectionManager();
cm.setDefaultMaxPerRoute(20);
HttpClient httpClient = new DefaultHttpClient(cm);

// executed repeatedly by multiple concurrent threads
HttpGet rq = new HttpGet(uri);
InputStream is = null;
try {
  HttpResponse res = httpClient.execute(rq);
  // ...
  is = res.getEntity().getContent();
} finally {
  is.close();
}

// one-time disposal
httpClient.getConnectionManager().shutdown();

thanks,

marko

Re: ConnectionPoolTimeoutException with multi-threaded HttpClient usage

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 22:18 +0200, Marko Asplund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems using HttpClient in a multi-threaded environment.
> When HttpClient.execute is called I occasionally get the following
> error, even when there
> probably should be connections available in the pool.

This can happen if you have a pool with the number of concurrent
connections much smaller than the number of work threads (which causes a
high resource contention) combined with an aggressive timeout value.

> org.apache.http.conn.ConnectionPoolTimeoutException: Timeout waiting
> for connection from pool
>         at org.apache.http.impl.conn.PoolingClientConnectionManager.leaseConnection(PoolingClientConnectionManager.java:232)
> [httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
>         at org.apache.http.impl.conn.PoolingClientConnectionManager$1.getConnection(PoolingClientConnectionManager.java:199)
> [httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
>         at org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.execute(DefaultRequestDirector.java:455)
> [httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
>         at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:906)
> [httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
>         at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:805)
> [httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
>         at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:784)
> [httpclient-4.2.2.jar:4.2.2]
>
> Should I explicitly release the connection after each HTTP request is executed?
> Is there something else that should be done to clean up after each request?
> The HC tutorial recommends passing a per-thread HttpContext object to
> HC.execute but is this required?
> What kind of state is actually stored in HttpContext?
>
> Below is a simplified version of the code.
>
> // one-time initialization
> PoolingClientConnectionManager cm = new PoolingClientConnectionManager();
> cm.setDefaultMaxPerRoute(20);
> HttpClient httpClient = new DefaultHttpClient(cm);
>
> // executed repeatedly by multiple concurrent threads
> HttpGet rq = new HttpGet(uri);
> InputStream is = null;
> try {
>   HttpResponse res = httpClient.execute(rq);
>   // ...
>   is = res.getEntity().getContent();
> } finally {
>   is.close();
> }

Closing the response content stream is perfectly sufficient. Just make
sure your code _always_ consumes response entities even for non-200

Hope this helps

Oleg