Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> on 2014/01/31 01:43:29 UTC

Apache jenkins job to build release artifacts (WAS: Issue with my username on my company provided dev box?)

[Cross-posting with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10313]

OK, we have:

* A script, create-release.sh, that creates release artifacts
* An Apache Jenkins job that runs the script and produces the artifacts in
Apache CI machines, thanks Yahoo! (or shouldn't I say that?)

The Apache Jenkins job is:

  https://builds.apache.org/job/HADOOP2_Release_Artifacts_Builder/

There you'll see the output of an release build. When triggering the build,
you can specify an RC_LABEL (RC0 in this case). If you do so all the
artifact files will be postfixed with it.

The job is currently producing:

* RAT report
* SOURCE tarball and its MD5
* BINARY tarball and its MD5
* SITE tarball (ready to plaster in Apache Hadoop site)
* CHANGES files

I've verified the produced SOURCE is correct and I can build a BINARY out
of it.

I've verified the produced BINARY tarball works (in pseudo-cluster mode).

Running 'hadoop-version' from the BINARY a tarball reports:

----
$ bin/hadoop version
Hadoop 2.4.0-SNAPSHOT
Subversion http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common -r 1563020
Compiled by jenkins on 2014-01-31T00:03Z
Compiled with protoc 2.5.0
>From source with checksum 37ccb6f84b23196f521243fd192070
----

Once the JIRA is committed we have to modify the Jenkins job to use the
script from 'dev-support/' directory.

We could improve this script further to deploy the built JARs to the Maven
repo. I don't know how to do this, so it would be great if somebody that
know how jumps on that. Maybe a s a follow up JIRA, so we have something
going.

Thanks.

--
Alejandro

Re: Apache jenkins job to build release artifacts (WAS: Issue with my username on my company provided dev box?)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I agree on not auto-signing (the script does not do it, on purpose).
>
> I was referring to deploying release artifact JARs.

Right. And my answer then would be -- please don't do that.

> OK, then we are done then.

Sounds like it.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Apache jenkins job to build release artifacts (WAS: Issue with my username on my company provided dev box?)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> I agree on not auto-signing (the script does not do it, on purpose).
>
> I was referring to deploying release artifact JARs.

Right. And my answer then would be -- please don't do that.

> OK, then we are done then.

Sounds like it.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Apache jenkins job to build release artifacts (WAS: Issue with my username on my company provided dev box?)

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
FWIW I've used a (local) VM for releases in the past, a VM with read-only
access to the repository, that was never used for development

-lets you lock down the box more
-guarantees src is untainted by edits
-lets you run a release build/test run within the VM while you are still
coding, without any interference
-lets you do an rm -rf ~/.m2 ~/.ivy before the build
-lets people with windows desktops cut a release

weaknesses?
-Slower IO
-All changes to things like release notes need to be done local &
propagated via SVN
-if you do want auto-publish via scp, VM needs your private key without a
password. We created a special user @sourceforge for this
-usual brittleness of a VM that is only used once every month to changes
-after the yum update things may break, the wrong version of java creep in,
etc. That has to be included in the schedule.
-once you share the VMs by copying disk images the maintenance cost is
O(VM-instances)
-automated releases can get you complacent about shipping things without
doing the full install tests (on other (clean) VMs)
-when you did run the fully distributed test harness, it would certainly
pick up on things like concurrency and network problems, but it did nothing
to help you actually track down the issue (
http://sourceforge.net/p/smartfrog/svn/HEAD/tree/trunk/core/components/arithmetic-testharness/src/org/smartfrog/services/slp/
)

that release process in full:
http://sourceforge.net/p/smartfrog/svn/HEAD/tree/trunk/core/release/doc/creating_release_artifacts.pdf?format=raw

-Steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Apache jenkins job to build release artifacts (WAS: Issue with my username on my company provided dev box?)

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.