Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Xavier Ottolini <xa...@laposte.net> on 2004/11/24 17:50:34 UTC

Tutorial improvement

Dear Torque Community,

I think that torque is a fantastic tool. I already used it two years
ago. I am really convinced that this tool is the must for easy java
projects.

Unfortunately, the tutorial is not very complete. I guess that it is
made for Torque experts ?

When a team choose a tool for a project, it is important that it is easy
to learn for all the developpers. Otherwise, it is better to use a home
made classes.
Here is an example of good tutorial. Check it and you will see that it
is really understandable by non expert people.
http://www.soapuser.com/server1.html

I hope that my little message will help Torque to become as popular as
PEAR for the php community.

Regards

Xavier Ottolini

Re: Tutorial improvement

Posted by Thomas Fischer <Fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Hi,

The difference between struts and torque is that torque is much more
complicated to set-up than struts. You need to supply the correct DB
driver, specify the DB connection,  the way you want your source to be
generated (e.g. the target package), and your data model, before your first
test application run, whereas in struts, you only have to deploy a war file
to an application server. Because of this, it is natural in my opinion that
the torque tutorial is much more "complicated" than the struts tutorial.
Also, the 3.1.1 tutorial has much improved as compared to the 3.1 tutorial.
Of course, nothing is perfect, so any contributions or specific suggestions
are welcome.

   Thomas

Xavier Ottolini <xa...@laposte.net> schrieb am 26.11.2004
10:14:45: