Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org> on 2021/02/10 15:35:50 UTC

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Sebb, blocking our release announcements over trivialities like this
really is not a nice thing to do. Last time it happened in May 2020.
It was already discussed back then and raised with the announce@
moderation team.

The Subversion PMC came to the conclusion that our handling of
the KEYS files is adequate for our purposes:
https://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2020-05/0156.shtml

Please raise the issue on our dev@subversion.a.o list if it bothers you.
The moderation mechanism is supposed to prevent spam. Using it to enforce
release workflow policies amounts to misuse of your moderation privileges.

Regards,
Stefan

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Branko Čibej wrote on Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 08:03:04 +0100:
> the purpose of moderation is [...] certainly not to anonymously enforce your
> conception of policy, [...]

For future reference, it wasn't entirely anonymous; the author's identity was
recorded in the headers:

Sender: sebb@gsuite.cloud.apache.org

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 11.02.2021 01:51, Private List Moderation wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 22:26, Erik Huelsmann <ehuels@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     How can a link be more important than an announcement for a fix of an
>     *unauthenticated* remote DoS ?
>

> When I checked the download page, there were no links for versions
> 1.10.7 or 1.14.1.
> i.e. the 2 announce mails were telling people to download versions
> that were not on the download page.
>
> As such, I felt I had to reject the announce email.

You know very well that the proper escalation path is to notify dev@, in
a separate mail, about the omission. Just like any other bug report.

As Stefan already said, the purpose of moderation is to prevent spam,
not to meddle in the PMC's business. And certainly not to anonymously
enforce your conception of policy, without discussion. Blocking the
announcement of a remote-DOS fix on a trivial technicality is way
outside a moderator's writ.

-- Brane

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Private List Moderation <mo...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 12:17, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 11.02.2021 12:02, Private List Moderation wrote:
>
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 07:04, Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:03:39PM -0500, Nathan Hartman wrote:
>> 1.10.7
>> that

>> > That was a race condition.
>>
>> Worse, it's a chicken-and-egg problem which is documented here:
>>
>> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#releasing-release
>> """
>> NOTE: We announce the release before updating the website since the
>> website update links to the release announcement sent to the announce@
>> mailing list.
>> """
>>

> Which is worse for the end user?
> - a broken link to the release announcement
> - a missing link to the download artifact referenced by the official
> announcement
>

> You forgot:
> - a missing release announcement.
>
> I'm pretty sure users are capable of telling us about missing links, but
> not about missing announcements.

Of course.

But if I had sent an email to the dev list instead of rejecting the
announce, the mail would still have been missing.

-- Brane

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 6:57 AM Private List Moderation
<mo...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 19:24, Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:33 AM Daniel Sahlberg
>> <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > *thread reply*
>> >
>> > I think everyone should take a deep breath and then we should re-start the conversation with the purpose of learning and improving because at the moment it seems that emotions are way to high.
>> >
>> > As I see it - and as usual, I'm new to the party so I don't have historical context:
>> >
>> > * Subversion release process dictate to announce first, update website later. There is a reason for it but we can improve on the process. I've raised this at dev@ and received positive feedback from stsp.
>> > * The RM an honest mistake and forgot to update the download page on the website. He has admitted and apologized. No problem, we all make mistakes, right?
>> > * Moderation rejected the announce mail quite harshly. I would agree that the missing links was reasonable cause to /hold back/ the announcement, but I think it was done in a way (tone and outright rejection instead of reaching out "hey, did you forget to update the download page?") that didn't invite to further communication. (I'm not comenting on the KEYS file issue, I wasn't around last time and I don't have the time to look up the policy, but from what I understand this was a minor issue).
>> >
>> > As far as I understand everyone in the Subversion project are volunteers. I don't know about the moderators but I assume they are as well. We need to treat eachother with respect and try to find the most efficient way for the community as a whole and not just "looking from the perspectiv of ****".
>> >
>> > Kind regards,
>> > Daniel Sahlberg
>>

>> I agree that there needs to be respect and appreciation for everyone's
>> volunteer efforts here, and in the spirit of openness and cooperation
>> I have a suggestion to make:
>>
>> Since it seems that "not being spam" isn't enough to make an
>> announcement, and this is a long standing issue (it goes back farther
>> than last May), it would be immensely helpful, both for us and for the
>> moderators, if there were publicly posted rules that clearly outline:
>> "this is what moderators check; this is the criteria moderators use to
>> accept or reject an email to this list." This would clearly set
>> expectations and help to prevent the repeating issues that I'm sure
>> are frustrating to the list operators, and I know are frustrating for
>> us.
>>

> I agree that this would be useful.
>
> Where would you expect to find such information?
> And what rules would you expect to see?
>
> Remember that the announce@ list is ASF-wide, so emails need to be worded accordingly.

Ping... I'm writing to give an update and also a gentle nudge:

Update: On our (Subversion's) end, we are making some adjustments to
our release procedures and tooling to avoid the race-condition /
chicken-egg issue between download links and the announce email.

Nudge: On your (the list-owner's) end, have you had a chance to
document the criteria for announcements to be rejected or accepted?

Thanks,
Nathan

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 2:21 PM Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Den lör 13 feb. 2021 kl 12:57 skrev Private List Moderation <
> mod-private@gsuite.cloud.apache.org>:
>
> And what rules would you expect to see?
>>

> Maybe this is too obvious but "the rules used by the moderators when
> deciding to reject a message". I don't think that the community would care
> too much about what these rules are as long as the rules are known
> beforehand (I'm speaking as community member, not being part of the PMC).
> The reason of the whole discussion as I understand it is a feeling that
> messages are arbitrary rejected. If there are clear rules, there can be a
> clear template for the RM to minimize the risk or rejection.

Exactly.

The moderators know what they check and when they accept or reject a
message. All we're asking is to have clarity on that, to make everyone's
lives easier.

Cheers,
Nathan

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den lör 13 feb. 2021 kl 12:57 skrev Private List Moderation <
mod-private@gsuite.cloud.apache.org>:

> I agree that this would be useful.
>
> Where would you expect to find such information?

I've searched and I can't find a really logical place. Maybe there is a
place with information for the projects that I can't find otherwise Cwiki
might be a good place. I would say it is most important that it is suitable
for the moderators. Wherever it is, we will link to it from our (
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#releasing-release
).

And what rules would you expect to see?

Maybe this is too obvious but "the rules used by the moderators when
deciding to reject a message". I don't think that the community would care
too much about what these rules are as long as the rules are known
beforehand (I'm speaking as community member, not being part of the PMC).
The reason of the whole discussion as I understand it is a feeling that
messages are arbitrary rejected. If there are clear rules, there can be a
clear template for the RM to minimize the risk or rejection.

Remember that the announce@ list is ASF-wide, so emails need to be worded
> accordingly.

Absolutely, guidelines on appropriate messages are of course welcome.

Kind regards
Daniel Sahlberg

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Private List Moderation <mo...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org>.
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:33 AM Daniel Sahlberg
> <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > *thread reply*
> >
> > I think everyone should take a deep breath and then we should re-start
> the conversation with the purpose of learning and improving because at the
> moment it seems that emotions are way to high.
> >
> > As I see it - and as usual, I'm new to the party so I don't have
> historical context:
> >
> > * Subversion release process dictate to announce first, update website
> later. There is a reason for it but we can improve on the process. I've
> raised this at dev@ and received positive feedback from stsp.
> > * The RM an honest mistake and forgot to update the download page on the
> website. He has admitted and apologized. No problem, we all make mistakes,
> right?
> > * Moderation rejected the announce mail quite harshly. I would agree
> that the missing links was reasonable cause to /hold back/ the
> announcement, but I think it was done in a way (tone and outright rejection
> instead of reaching out "hey, did you forget to update the download page?")
> that didn't invite to further communication. (I'm not comenting on the KEYS
> file issue, I wasn't around last time and I don't have the time to look up
> the policy, but from what I understand this was a minor issue).
> >
> > As far as I understand everyone in the Subversion project are
> volunteers. I don't know about the moderators but I assume they are as
> well. We need to treat eachother with respect and try to find the most
> efficient way for the community as a whole and not just "looking from the
> perspectiv of ****".
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Daniel Sahlberg
>

> I agree that there needs to be respect and appreciation for everyone's
> volunteer efforts here, and in the spirit of openness and cooperation
> I have a suggestion to make:
>
> Since it seems that "not being spam" isn't enough to make an
> announcement, and this is a long standing issue (it goes back farther
> than last May), it would be immensely helpful, both for us and for the
> moderators, if there were publicly posted rules that clearly outline:
> "this is what moderators check; this is the criteria moderators use to
> accept or reject an email to this list." This would clearly set
> expectations and help to prevent the repeating issues that I'm sure
> are frustrating to the list operators, and I know are frustrating for
> us.

I agree that this would be useful.

Where would you expect to find such information?
And what rules would you expect to see?

Remember that the announce@ list is ASF-wide, so emails need to be worded
accordingly.

Thanks to everyone for your support.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 14:36 Private List Moderation <
mod-private@gsuite.cloud.apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 12:15, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 11.02.2021 12:23, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:02:32AM +0000, Private List Moderation wrote:
>>
>> Irrelevant.
>>
>> Given that this discussion doesn't seem to be going anywhere and the
>> same arguments from May 2020 are just being rehashed, I guess we will
>> simply stop using the announce@ mailing list.
>>

>> I agree. This nitpicking bureaucratic mission creep has gone way over the
>> top. We have our own announce@svn.a.o list anyway; I expect anyone who's
>> really interested is subscribed to that.
>>
>> I find it kind of ironically funny that the same moderator(s) who feel
>> they're empowered to enforce release policy don't feel that the normal
>> escalation path (i.e., bug report to dev@) is worth taking.
>>

> There was a problem with the download page at the time it was checked.

What does a problem with the download page have to do with spam prevention?
Why does that problem make this spam?

Please try to see it from the moderator's point of view.

I can only look at it from my what I perceive to be the responsibility of a
moderator. And I am looking at it from that perspective.

Erik

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Private List Moderation <mo...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 12:15, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 11.02.2021 12:23, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:02:32AM +0000, Private List Moderation wrote:
>
> Irrelevant.
>
> Given that this discussion doesn't seem to be going anywhere and the
> same arguments from May 2020 are just being rehashed, I guess we will
> simply stop using the announce@ mailing list.
>

> I agree. This nitpicking bureaucratic mission creep has gone way over the
> top. We have our own announce@svn.a.o list anyway; I expect anyone who's
> really interested is subscribed to that.
>
> I find it kind of ironically funny that the same moderator(s) who feel
> they're empowered to enforce release policy don't feel that the normal
> escalation path (i.e., bug report to dev@) is worth taking.

There was a problem with the download page at the time it was checked.
This meant that the announce email could not be accepted.

The simplest and quickest way for the moderators to report this is to
reject the announce email.
This ensures that at least the RM gets the notification.

Yes, I could have sent a mail to the dev list instead, but that is more
work for the moderator.

It's not as if I blocked all future announce emails.
I merely rejected a single email.

Please try to see it from the moderator's point of view.

Meh.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 7:15 AM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 11.02.2021 12:23, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:02:32AM +0000, Private List Moderation wrote:
>
> Irrelevant.
>
> Given that this discussion doesn't seem to be going anywhere and the
> same arguments from May 2020 are just being rehashed, I guess we will
> simply stop using the announce@ mailing list.
>

> I agree. This nitpicking bureaucratic mission creep has gone way over the
> top. We have our own announce@svn.a.o list anyway; I expect anyone who's
> really interested is subscribed to that.

[cc &= ~(dev@)]

Sounds good to me. We could just as easily link to the release announcement
on our announce list rather than the ASF-wide one.

Nathan

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Private List Moderation <mo...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 07:04, Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:03:39PM -0500, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM Private List Moderation <
> > mod-private@gsuite.cloud.apache.org> wrote:
> > > When I checked the download page, there were no links for versions
> 1.10.7
> > > or 1.14.1.
> > > i.e. the 2 announce mails were telling people to download versions that
> > > were not on the download page.
> > >
> > > As such, I felt I had to reject the announce email.
> > >
> > > It looks as though the page has since been updated.
> > >

> > That was a race condition.
>
> Worse, it's a chicken-and-egg problem which is documented here:
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#releasing-release
> """
> NOTE: We announce the release before updating the website since the
> website update links to the release announcement sent to the announce@
> mailing list.
> """

Which is worse for the end user?
- a broken link to the release announcement
- a missing link to the download artifact referenced by the official
announcement

The former could easily be avoided by noting that the announce mail may
take a few hours to reach the archives.

Notwithstanding that, yes, I did actually forget to update the download
> page immediately after posting the announcements. dsahlberg kindly reminded
> me of this. It still don't see how this is a reason for blocking a
> legitimate
> release annoucement. Instead of rejecting the annoucement outright you
> could
> have mailed us on dev@ with a question like "This looks incomplete. Are
> you
> sure you want to post this annoucement?". That would have been helpful, but
> moderation rejection is not helpful.

Rejecting an email is not the same as vetoing a release.

The moderators have a lot of mails to check.
It's easier from our point of view to reject the email intially, and check
again when a new email comes in.
Otherwise we have to keep track of which emails are pending.

It's not exactly difficult for the RM to send a fresh copy of the announce.
You would have to send an email to inform the moderators that the issue has
been fixed.

Not everyone relies on the download pages to find our releases.

At the moment I sent the announcement at least one distribution (Suse Linux)
> already had RPMs with the security fix ready to go because we had sent
> security
> pre-notifications in private about a week earlier.

Irrelevant.

Cheers,

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@stsp.name>.
On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 10:31:24AM +0100, Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
> Den tors 11 feb. 2021 kl 10:11 skrev Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org>:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 09:57:23AM +0100, Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
> > > It is indeed a chicken-and-egg problem. However I would suggest to split
> > > this "updating the website" into two separate parts:
> > > 1. Updating the download page and possibly also adding a news item (with
> > > placeholder link to the release announcement) before the announcement.
> > > 2. After the release announcement has landed in lists.a.o, update the
> > news
> > > item with a proper link.
> > >
> > > If the website is updated in one batch after the announcement someone
> > might
> > > receive the announcement, immediately heading to the download page and
> > then
> > > not finding the announced release.
> >
> > Yes, that makes sense. Would you have time to update the web site
> > accordingly?
> >

> Sure, I'll make a suggestion in staging. Not today though.
>

> > Having just run through the steps, I must say that our release manager's
> > guide
> > has a rather low signal-to-noise ratio in its current form.
> > It may help to break some text into more paragraphs with meaningful
> > headers,
> > and/or perhaps put boxes around some of the details that don't really
> > matter
> > when someone is trying to get an overview of the procedure.
> >

> Since I'm new to the party, maybe I can try to understand the procedure and
> break it up, and you can tell me when I go wrong?
>
> Kind regards,
> Daniel

Yes, sure. I will gladly review what you come up with.

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den tors 11 feb. 2021 kl 10:31 skrev Daniel Sahlberg <
daniel.l.sahlberg@gmail.com>:

> Den tors 11 feb. 2021 kl 10:11 skrev Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org>:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 09:57:23AM +0100, Daniel Sahlberg wrote:
>> > It is indeed a chicken-and-egg problem. However I would suggest to split
>> > this "updating the website" into two separate parts:
>> > 1. Updating the download page and possibly also adding a news item
>> (with a
>> > placeholder link to the release announcement) before the announcement.
>> > 2. After the release announcement has landed in lists.a.o, update the
>> news
>> > item with a proper link.
>> >
>> > If the website is updated in one batch after the announcement someone
>> might
>> > receive the announcement, immediately heading to the download page and
>> then
>> > not finding the announced release.
>>
>> Yes, that makes sense. Would you have time to update the web site
>> accordingly?
>>

> Sure, I'll make a suggestion in staging. Not today though.

I've committed an initial suggestion in r1886494 (
http://subversion-staging.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#releasing-release
).

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
[[ Continuing the discussion on dev@ only since I intend to discuss website
update policy and not the current release ]]

Den tors 11 feb. 2021 kl 08:04 skrev Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org>:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:03:39PM -0500, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM Private List Moderation <
> > mod-private@gsuite.cloud.apache.org> wrote:
> > > When I checked the download page, there were no links for versions
> 1.10.7
> > > or 1.14.1.
> > > i.e. the 2 announce mails were telling people to download versions that
> > > were not on the download page.
> > >
> > > As such, I felt I had to reject the announce email.
> > >
> > > It looks as though the page has since been updated.
> > >

> > That was a race condition.
>
> Worse, it's a chicken-and-egg problem which is documented here:
>
> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#releasing-release
> """
> NOTE: We announce the release before updating the website since the
> website update links to the release announcement sent to the announce@
> mailing list.
> """

It is indeed a chicken-and-egg problem. However I would suggest to split
this "updating the website" into two separate parts:
1. Updating the download page and possibly also adding a news item (with a
placeholder link to the release announcement) before the announcement.
2. After the release announcement has landed in lists.a.o, update the news
item with a proper link.

If the website is updated in one batch after the announcement someone might
receive the announcement, immediately heading to the download page and then
not finding the announced release.

Stefan actually added the news item with a placeholder in a separate commit
and then added the proper link afterwards so I hope it wouldn't increase
the burden to much on release manager if sending the release announcement
is moved in the middle of updating the website.

One could argue that the time period when the download page is not updated
is relatively short but I think it should be possible to avoid this problem
altogether.

Not everyone relies on the download pages to find our releases.

I agree with this assessment, but sometimes the people who don't understand
the process are the most vocal.

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Private List Moderation <mo...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 04:03, Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM Private List Moderation <
> mod-private@gsuite.cloud.apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 22:26, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How can a link be more important than an announcement for a fix of an
>>> *unauthenticated* remote DoS ?
>>>

>> When I checked the download page, there were no links for versions 1.10.7
>> or 1.14.1.
>> i.e. the 2 announce mails were telling people to download versions that
>> were not on the download page.
>>
>> As such, I felt I had to reject the announce email.
>>
>> It looks as though the page has since been updated.
>>

> That was a race condition.

As the issue is fixed, would you please allow the message through now?

Once an email has been rejected, it cannot be accepted.

Do we need to re-send it?

As I wrote in both rejection comments, a corrected email needs to be sent.

Thank you,

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM Private List Moderation <
mod-private@gsuite.cloud.apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 22:26, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How can a link be more important than an announcement for a fix of an
>> *unauthenticated* remote DoS ?
>>

> When I checked the download page, there were no links for versions 1.10.7
> or 1.14.1.
> i.e. the 2 announce mails were telling people to download versions that
> were not on the download page.
>
> As such, I felt I had to reject the announce email.
>
> It looks as though the page has since been updated.

That was a race condition.

As the issue is fixed, would you please allow the message through now? Do
we need to re-send it?

Thank you,
Nathan Hartman
V.P., Subversion

Re: Returned post for announce@apache.org

Posted by Private List Moderation <mo...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org>.
On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 at 22:26, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can a link be more important than an announcement for a fix of an
> *unauthenticated* remote DoS ?

When I checked the download page, there were no links for versions 1.10.7
or 1.14.1.
i.e. the 2 announce mails were telling people to download versions that
were not on the download page.

As such, I felt I had to reject the announce email.

It looks as though the page has since been updated.

Same for the KEYS file???

I never said that was equally important.

Don't you think that's way out of proportion?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Private List Moderation <mo...@gsuite.cloud.apache.org>.