Posted to dev@phoenix.apache.org by lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org> on 2014/02/04 06:11:51 UTC

Commit messages

In HBase we have commit message of the following form:
HBASE-<number> <message>. (<contributor)

Should we do the same for Phoenix?
For example I just pushed PHOENIX-13. The commit message looked like this:
"PHOENIX-13 Provide a nocache hint to a query. (LarsH)"

That way we can easily find the jira for a commit, and also find a commit by looking in the commit log for the jira number.

Also, I noticed that many (all?) files have @author tags. In HBase we avoid those (there's even a precommit test that flags @author tags as error). I am not sure whether this is an Apache or merely an HBase policy. It seems for a community project it is a good policy.

Comments?

-- Lars

Re: Commit messages

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@apache.org>.
FYI, we have default Eclipse settings in the dev directory.

Re: Commit messages

In HBase we have commit message of the following form:
>HBASE-<number> <message>. (<contributor)
>
>Should we do the same for Phoenix?
>For example I just pushed PHOENIX-13. The commit message looked like this:
>"PHOENIX-13 Provide a nocache hint to a query. (LarsH)"
>
>That way we can easily find the jira for a commit, and also find a commit by looking in the commit log for the jira number.
>
>Also, I noticed that many (all?) files have @author tags. In HBase we avoid those (there's even a precommit test that flags @author tags as error). I am not sure whether this is an Apache or merely an HBase policy. It seems for a community project it is a good policy.

Removing '@author' tags is an old Apache ruling (Do a bit of googling on it).
St.AckĀ

Re: Commit messages

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Commit messages

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the commit message what LarsH proposed.  Also if the committer only
is the contributor of the patch can avoid the contributor name also.  Not a
big deal that is.

+1 for removing the @author

-Anoop-

RE: Commit messages