Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Zhongyue Luo <zh...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/28 17:31:45 UTC

Introducing the ceph-mesos framework

Hi list,

Me and my colleges developed a framwork called ceph-mesos. As you've
already predicted from its name, the framework is for scaling Ceph clusters
on Mesos.

Check out the code on Github <https://github.com/Intel-bigdata/ceph-mesos>

We've just announced this at the 2nd Beijing MUG meetup.Here is the link to
the presentation
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1AzcOD9Aug6BrWevdpHXgyXlcHUzVq2_MMRNvutLelJY/edit?usp=sharing>
.

There is also a demo video
<http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI3MjMxNTU5Ng==.html>. Audio is in Chinese
but you won't have a problem following through even if you mute.

Thanks.

--
*Intel SSG/STO/BDT*
880 Zixing Road, Zizhu Science Park, Minhang District, 200241, Shanghai,

Re: Introducing the ceph-mesos framework

Posted by Zhongyue Luo <zh...@gmail.com>.
sure will do.

Posted by haosdent <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: Introducing the ceph-mesos framework

Posted by CCAAT <cc...@tampabay.rr.com>.
On 06/28/2015 05:43 PM, Zhongyue Luo wrote:
> About the Ceph binary, this framework pulls a Docker container to run
> Ceph so int that case you should custom build and put them in a Docker
> image. Our observation are that CephFS is very unstable so we are developing a
> file system called RGWFS, which is a HCFS based on RGW.

Interesting strategy. We currently have Ceph-0.94.2 across of each
system's btrfs and then install mesos, spark and the other frameworks.
The only problem I'm seeing right now is too many writes initiated by
both ceph and btrfs. I believe as both mature this will be resolve via
some more advanced configuration options and tools. I have not had the
time to drill down into this penalty (too many duplicative writes) atm.
It's a small node (3-5 slaves). Our goals is a single compute engine for
a singular 'Big Science' problem where the cluster scales and memory is
managed at the lowest level possible (bare metal strategy).
Our problems are intensively memory bound.

Do keep us informed on your progress. Gentoo affords a fine grain of
control over software compilations and tuning the various kernels we
are testing is also an integral part of robustly tuning Cephfs and btrfs.

James

Posted by zhou weitao <zh...@gmail.com>.
I got a short talk with Zhongyue at the 2nd Beijing MUG meetup. Any ideas
on data transfer network among Ceph nodes? If we try to involve that into
Mesos cluster network resource also?

Posted by Zhongyue Luo <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by CCAAT <cc...@tampabay.rr.com>.
Hello  Zhongyue Luo,