Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> on 2020/02/13 18:33:13 UTC

[DISCUSS] Moving Hive site from Apache CMS/SVN to Git

Hello Hive community,

I noticed Hive is still serving its site from SVN with help of the Apache CMS. At the Apache Celix
project we decided to move away from the CMS and move towards git for serving our website [1].
This because the CMS was introduced in 2010 and is currently not accepting any new projects. With
the move to Hugo we're sure that we still can update the site when the ASF CMS will be
decommissioned.

The master branch contains the actual website sources whereas the generated website is served
from the asf-site branch. Hugo is being used as static website generator. Content is written in
Markdown.

I had a look at Hive its site and it was quite easy to migrate Hive its site to use Hugo as well. An
example of Hugo its output is (for demo purposes only) available on [2]. These are the existing
markdown files with a slightly changed header.

Moving to git can enlarge the visibility of how projects are functioning. Next to that, new contributors
can simply create a pull request against the website repository if they find anything they want to
improve. An 'Edit on GitHub' button can be added as well to the site, e.g. an example of a page on
the Celix website [3].

If the community is interested in this move what I propose:
- Someone from the PMC to request a new git repository for the website (e.g. hive-site) via [4]
- Me creating the pull request from the repository I am temporarily using for the website contents [5]
to the official hive-site repository
- Create a Jenkins job to automatically build the site after changes happen on the master branch.
- When the pull request is reviewed and merged ask INFRA to move over from the current svnpubsub
to the gitpubsub approach and remove MINA from the Apache CMS.

Next to that Hive is also having javadocs which are only part of the production site (won't be included
when people clone the Hive website SVN repo). These can still be served from e.g. a release-docs
branch. In the README we can then mention that the hive-site repo needs to be cloned using the
--single-branch option. An alternative would be serving the javadocs from a separate repository (e.g.
hive-release-docs).

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this :)

Best regards,
Roy

[1] https://github.com/apache/celix-site
[2] http://hive.roylenferink.nl/
[3] http://celix.apache.org/contributing/releasing.html
[4] https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/newrepo.html
[5] https://github.com/rlenferink/hive-site

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving Hive site from Apache CMS/SVN to Git

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.
Anyone any thoughts on this? Otherwise I'll start a lazy vote for moving over.