Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Koreen <kr...@roadrunner.com> on 2012/10/01 08:04:32 UTC

Need help, I can't open a presentation on my computer ....

Hi.

I was able to open 3 other PowerPoint presentations with the OpenOffice Impress (or something), but I have a fourth one that will NOT open at all.  I even had trouble getting another open, it seemed to take forever and had to try a half-dozen times. But this last one is pissing me off. I need it for college, I can't even view it, let alone print it out. I attached it so you can see what I can't open. It's for my Microbiolgy class at Erie Community College.

I've used OpenOffice for years, never a problem till this new Apache OO.  If I've contacted the wrong department, please forward this to the right one.  I  couldn't find "technical" support or anything like that and it took me forever to find this one.

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Koreen Jones

Re: Need help, I can't open a presentation on my computer ....

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 1 October 2012 07:48, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 02:04:32 -0400
> "Koreen" <kr...@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I was able to open 3 other PowerPoint presentations with the OpenOffice
> Impress (or something), but I have a fourth one that will NOT open at all.
>  I even had trouble getting another open, it seemed to take forever and had
> to try a half-dozen times. But this last one is pissing me off. I need it
> for college, I can't even view it, let alone print it out. I attached it so
> you can see what I can't open. It's for my Microbiolgy class at Erie
> Community College.
> >
> > I've used OpenOffice for years, never a problem till this new Apache OO.
>  If I've contacted the wrong department, please forward this to the right
> one.  I  couldn't find "technical" support or anything like that and it
> took me forever to find this one.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sincerely,
> > Koreen Jones
>
> As a very quick fix, I suggest you download the free Microsoft Powerpoint
> Viewer from the Microsoft site, which will enable you to see the
> presentation and progress your studies
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=13

If the person sending the message is not subscribed to the list they won't
see the reply.

The AOO support lists are at
https://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html

This includes the user list where user support is available and the Quality
Assurance list. It also helps if there are problems like the one posted
here, if an example file can be sent to the bug tracking system at
http://www.openoffice.org/qa/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

Please remember if you are not subscribed to a list you might well not see
the reply to your message.

Apache OpenOffice is a community project supported by volunteers. Your
contributions, no matter how small are welcome.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: Need help, I can't open a presentation on my computer ....

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 02:04:32 -0400

Re: The OpenOffice team (Re: Need help, I can't open a presentation on my computer ....)

Posted by Stan Helton <st...@gmail.com>.
This originated from a college student requesting help with some PPT
files she could not open. I offered to help her. The problem turned out
to be that her data files were heavily corrupted, AOO was/is working
properly insofar as her particular problem is concerned.

Stan Helton

--
Courtesy is the grease that keeps the wheels of civilization turning.
Robert Heinlein

The OpenOffice team (Re: Need help, I can't open a presentation on my computer ....)

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stan Helton <st...@gmail.com>.
Koreen,

I tried to open the file with both AOO and MS PowerPoint. The file is
heavily corrupted and will not open properly in either program. The only
fix is to try to get a fresh uncorrupted copy of the file. The problem
is not OpenOffice, it is the file itself.

Sorry for the bad news.

Sincerely,
Stan Helton
Not affiliated with Apache.