Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Ash .." <eq...@hotmail.com> on 2003/12/08 12:19:49 UTC

[lang][collections][primitives] etc, JDK compatibility query

I wish to know what the compatibility objectives of the forthcoming releases
for the components lang, collections, and primitives are. Specifically, will
they necessitate use of JDK 1.4?

Ash

Run, rabbit run.
Dig that hole, forget the sun,
And when at last the work is done
Don't sit down it's time to dig another one.

Re: [lang][collections][primitives] etc, JDK compatibility query

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> I'm strongly opposed to requiring JDK 1.4 at this time in collections or
> primitives.  I don't use or contribute to lang, but I suggest it's a bad
> idea there too.

I agree (strongly).  Gary Gregory suggested in a previous [lang][codec]
thread
(http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=1155956)
that we maintain OS/JDK testing data.  I think that is a good idea and it
is on my (unfortunately growing :-) commons todo list to find an easy way
to set volunteers up to do this.

Prior to release of [lang] 2.0, we tested with JDKs 1.2-1.4 on multiple
platforms.  I tested Sun Linux JDKs 1.2.2_016, 1.3.1_08 and 1.4.2 myself.
  I plan to do the same for [collections] during the run up to 3.0.
Ideally, tests and sources should both build and run on 1.2+. If not, we
should understand and discuss why not.

Phil

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> I'm strongly opposed to requiring JDK 1.4 at this time in collections or
> primitives.  I don't use or contribute to lang, but I suggest it's a bad
> idea there too.
>
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Ash .. wrote:
>

>>I wish to know what the compatibility objectives of the forthcoming releases
>>for the components lang, collections, and primitives are. Specifically, will
>>they necessitate use of JDK 1.4?

My +1 against 1.4 requirement.
MacOSX has been on the edge of java for a while (is almost still, now in
1.4.2 beta). Starting to require 1.4 would mean you need MacOSX 10.2...
something that several MacOSXers might not have.
(VMs are made by Apple on Mac, and only by them)

Staying 1.3 means requiring any MacOSX.
Sad thing is that you still have ot live with xml-api then.. ah
well...Aside of this, I wonder who would require 1.4... FocusManager?
Speedier GUI? Preferences?

Paul

Re: [lang][collections][primitives] etc, JDK compatibility query

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.