Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Ivan Webber via user <us...@flink.apache.org> on 2023/03/28 20:29:17 UTC

Unable to Use spec.flinkVersion v1_17 with Flink Operator

Hello Flink Users:

I'm trying to upgrade to use Flink 1.17.0 with my pipeline in order to have support for writing to Azure Data Lake Storage. However when I change the `spec.flinkVersion` to v1_17 I get an error message:

```bash
The FlinkDeployment "test-replay-streaming-run" is invalid: spec.flinkVersion: Unsupported value: "v1_17": supported values: "v1_13", "v1_14", "v1_15", "v1_16"
```

The documentation (here<https://flink.apache.org/downloads/#:~:text=Flink%20version(s)%3A-,1.17.0,-1.16.1>) says latest version of Flink Operator (1.4) should support 1.17.0 and I made sure to update by running the below commands. I’m wondering if an Enum needs updated or if the latest stable Flink Operator doesn’t actually support 1.17.0 yet. Any pointers would be appreciated.

```bash
helm uninstall flink-kubernetes-operator flink-operator-repo/flink-kubernetes-operator
helm repo rm flink-operator-repo
helm repo add flink-operator-repo https://downloads.apache.org/flink/flink-kubernetes-operator-1.4.0/
helm install flink-kubernetes-operator flink-operator-repo/flink-kubernetes-operator
```

Thanks,

Ivan Webber

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Unable to Use spec.flinkVersion v1_17 with Flink Operator

Posted by Ivan Webber via user <us...@flink.apache.org>.
The commands for updating CRD seem to assume they are being run from the flink-operator-repo. Accordingly, to run them in my environment I should run them as:
```bash
# upgrade CRD
kubectl replace -f https://github.com/apache/flink-kubernetes-operator/tree/release-1.4/helm/flink-kubernetes-operator/crds/flinkdeployments.flink.apache.org-v1.yml
kubectl replace -f https://github.com/apache/flink-kubernetes-operator/tree/release-1.4/helm/flink-kubernetes-operator/crds/flinksessionjobs.flink.apache.org-v1.yml
```

However, I got the following error for both commands:
```bash
error: error parsing https://github.com/apache/flink-kubernetes-operator/tree/release-1.4/helm/flink-kubernetes-operator/crds/flinkdeployments.flink.apache.org-v1.yml: error converting YAML to JSON: yaml: line 27: mapping values are not allowed in this context
```

I tried the following based on the documentation:
```bash

helm uninstall flink-kubernetes-operator

kubectl delete crd flinkdeployments.flink.apache.org

helm repo update flink-operator-repo
helm install flink-kubernetes-operator flink-operator-repo/flink-kubernetes-operator
```

Now I do not get the error about `v1_17` and my pipeline is starting. I will follow-up if I find any new problems.

Thanks for the help!

Best,

Ivan

I think you forgot to upgrade the CRD during the upgrade process on your cluster.

As you can see here: https://github.com/apache/flink-kubernetes-operator/blob/release-1.4/helm/flink-kubernetes-operator/crds/flinkdeployments.flink.apache.org-v1.yml#L38-L44
The newer version already contains support for 1.17.
For docs you can refer to: https://nightlies.apache.org/flink/flink-kubernetes-operator-docs-main/docs/operations/upgrade/#1-upgrading-the-crd

Cheers,
Gyula

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.