Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Arnold <ca...@electrichendrix.com> on 2008/01/18 16:57:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Access forbidden

Hello all! Using apache 2.2.3 on SLES10/OES2. I am trying to use trace watch "logging" app on our sites. I follow the instructions at the trace watch site to install the php scripts and when trying to access the install script from my browser, i get a 403 access forbidden error. The directory i created to house the twatch app is owned by root and group root with 755 permissions (as are all the other folders in the doc root that work with php). The 2 twatch folders are owned by root and group root with 601 permissions. I have changed the folder permissions to 777 and when accessing the install script then get a blank page. What am i missing?

Re: [users@httpd] Apache serivice startup errors not going to logs.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Jan 20, 2008 8:07 AM, Ashwani Kumar Sharma
<As...@mindtree.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> When I accidently start Apache service on Windows on a port number which is
> aleady engaged. Why I don,t see any log file being created by Apache?
>
> If I try to strart apache exe httpd.exe from the cmd prompt I see the port
> number error message being flashed on the console. Why this error message is
> not seen in case of the service?

Thy get logged to the standard error location for windows services:
the windows event log.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Apache serivice startup errors not going to logs.

Posted by Ashwani Kumar Sharma <As...@mindtree.com>.

Hi Folks,

When I accidently start Apache service on Windows on a port number which is
aleady engaged. Why I don,t see any log file being created by Apache?

If I try to strart apache exe httpd.exe from the cmd prompt I see the port
number error message being flashed on the console. Why this error message is
not seen in case of the service?

Regards,
Ashwani

DISCLAIMER:
This message (including attachment if any) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this message by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
E-mail may contain viruses. Before opening attachments please check them for viruses and defects. While MindTree Consulting Limited (MindTree) has put in place checks to minimize the risks, MindTree will not be responsible for any viruses or defects or any forwarded attachments emanating either from within MindTree or outside.
Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change and MindTree shall not be liable for any improper, untimely or incomplete transmission.
MindTree reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from MindTree e-mail address. Messages sent to or from this e-mail address may be stored on the MindTree e-mail system or else where.

Re: [users@httpd] Access forbidden

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 18, 2008 10:57 AM, Chris Arnold <ca...@electrichendrix.com> wrote:
> Hello all! Using apache 2.2.3 on SLES10/OES2. I am trying to
> use trace watch "logging" app on our sites. I follow the
> instructions at the trace watch site to install the php scripts
> and when trying to access the install script from my browser, i
> get a 403 access forbidden error. The directory i created to
> house the twatch app is owned by root and group root with 755
> permissions (as are all the other folders in the doc root that
> work with php). The 2 twatch folders are owned by root and group
> root with 601 permissions. I have changed the folder permissions
> to 777 and when accessing the install script then get a blank
> page. What am i missing?

This should have generated an entry in your error log.  It will tell
you if filesystem permissions, or apache config, are the issue.

If you added an Alias or a virtualhost with a new DocumentRoot, you
likely need to add a <Directory> block that allows Apache to use that
new chunk of the fileystem.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com