Posted to commits@jackrabbit.apache.org by fm...@apache.org on 2008/04/02 22:01:27 UTC

svn commit: r644027 - /jackrabbit/tags/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi-1.4.1/

Author: fmeschbe
Date: Wed Apr  2 13:01:26 2008
New Revision: 644027

Log:
Create tag for 1.4.1 release

Added:
    jackrabbit/tags/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi-1.4.1/
      - copied from r644026, jackrabbit/branches/1.4/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi/

Re: svn commit: r644027 - /jackrabbit/tags/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi-1.4.1/

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.04.2008, 09:32 +0300 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> >  Nevertheless, as we do not yet have these componentized releases, I will
> >  do as you propose and copy the classes from the commons project to the
> >  rmi project - only in the 1.4 branch, though, and marking the classes
> >  "deprecated" with a comment.
>
> OK, thanks! As far as I'm concerned, those copied classes could be
> made package private or even private inner classes,

I thought about this possibility quickly, but this somewhat taint the
o.a.j.rmi.client package, where the users of these classes are. So I
decided to move them in the xml package and mark them deprecated right
from the start as they are not present in the trunk.

Regards
Felix

Re: svn commit: r644027 - /jackrabbit/tags/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi-1.4.1/

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On undefined, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Am Mittwoch, den 02.04.2008, 23:09 +0300 schrieb Jukka Zitting:
>  > Please consider my latest JCR-1343 comment before doing the release.
>  > I'm -1 or at least -0 for an 1.4.x release that has a strict
>  > dependency on another 1.4.x component (where x>0).
>
>  On the one hand, I can understand you. On the other hand, going
>  componentized releases, there will be surfacing such dependencies sooner
>  or later. This cannot be prevented, in particular if the dependency
>  happens to be a support library as the commons.

I have no problem with such dependencies as such, but we should only
be making dependency changes in x.y releases, not x.y.z patch
releases. So if this had been jcr-rmi 1.5, then changing the
dependency to jcr-commons 1.5 (or even 2.0) would have been fine. IMHO
a patch release should always be a safe replacement for a previous (or
better yet, future) release from the same branch, so you never need to
worry about dependency changes if you for example replace jcr-rmi 1.4
with 1.4.1.

This is the reason why I'm so concerned about introducing new features
and improvements in patch releases.

>  Nevertheless, as we do not yet have these componentized releases, I will
>  do as you propose and copy the classes from the commons project to the
>  rmi project - only in the 1.4 branch, though, and marking the classes
>  "deprecated" with a comment.

OK, thanks! As far as I'm concerned, those copied classes could be
made package private or even private inner classes, but having them
deprecated is also fine.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: svn commit: r644027 - /jackrabbit/tags/jackrabbit-jcr-rmi-1.4.1/

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,