Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Michael Wyraz <mi...@evermind.de> on 2013/10/01 19:47:26 UTC

Does Tapestry 5.4 bring client-side ui/controller logic?

Hello,

with big interest I have read
http://tapestryjava.blogspot.de/2011/11/tapestry-54-focus-on-javascript.html
which gives an outlook what tapestry 5.4 might bring.

Will these breaking ideas be realized in upcoming tapestry 5.4?
Especially will it be possible to move all this controller/view stuff to
the client (e.g. by using angularjs or similar)? I could not see
anything from this at http://tapestry.apache.org/release-notes-54.html.
If it's there, where can I found an entry points or examples?

If not, what has to be done to reach the goal?

Regards,
Michael.

Re: Does Tapestry 5.4 bring client-side ui/controller logic?

Posted by Michael Wyraz <mi...@evermind.de>.
Hello Felix,

thank you very much for your description. Could you go a bit deeper in
detail?
What it tapestry's role here? What is a page, what a component and how
does it play together with angularjs? Do you still use tapestry's
parameter bindings, validation and such?

And thanks for the hints with resteasy (looks quite similar to rest with
spring-mvc) and coffescript (I'll give it a try).

Regards,
Michael.

> Hello  Michael,
>
> Tapestry 5.4 does not force you to use a specific JavaScript frontend or
> embraces a specific kind of architecture.
>
> The way tapestry-core is implemented is very good for an understanding, how
> things work in the new requirejs / html5 way.
>
> I am using angularjs and it works pretty well together with tapestry
> (resteasy for data, META-INF/modules for structure, tapestry components for
> templates).
>
> The only thing that is a bit hard, is to get requirejs working together
> with angularjs, especially if you have a modular design and not all angular
> controllers and services are predefined.
>
> TL;DR: there is no specific way to do frontend javascript in 5.4, just have
> a look how the javascript in tapestry-core is arranged.
>
> Felix
>
> P.S.: it is ultimatively productive to use coffeescript with tapestry -
> give it a try if you did'nt already ;)
>

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Michael Wyraz <mi...@evermind.de>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> with big interest I have read http://tapestryjava.blogspot.**
>> de/2011/11/tapestry-54-focus-**on-javascript.html<http://tapestryjava.blogspot.de/2011/11/tapestry-54-focus-on-javascript.html>which gives an outlook what tapestry 5.4 might bring.
>>
>> Will these breaking ideas be realized in upcoming tapestry 5.4? Especially
>> will it be possible to move all this controller/view stuff to the client
>> (e.g. by using angularjs or similar)? I could not see anything from this at
>> http://tapestry.apache.org/**release-notes-54.html<http://tapestry.apache.org/release-notes-54.html>.
>> If it's there, where can I found an entry points or examples?
>>
>> If not, what has to be done to reach the goal?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Michael.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Michael Wyraz

evermind GmbH
Schorlemmerstraße 1
04155 Leipzig

Tel.:       +49 (0)341-25 39 66 - 0
Fax:        +49 (0)341-25 39 66 - 1
Funk:       +49 (0)177-73 00 00 3
E-Mail:     michael.wyraz@evermind.de

HRB: 21586
Amtsgericht Leipzig

Geschäftsführer:
Christoph Klemm
Thomas Grünert
Michael Wyraz

Re: Does Tapestry 5.4 bring client-side ui/controller logic?

Posted by Felix Gonschorek <fe...@netzgut.net>.
Hello  Michael,

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:47:26 -0300, Michael Wyraz
<mi...@evermind.de> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi!

> with big interest I have read
> http://tapestryjava.blogspot.de/2011/11/tapestry-54-focus-on-javascript.html
> which gives an outlook what tapestry 5.4 might bring.

You noticed that post is almost two years old and ideas and plans change
with time, didn't you? :)

> Will these breaking ideas be realized in upcoming tapestry 5.4?
> Especially will it be possible to move all this controller/view stuff to
> the client (e.g. by using angularjs or similar)?

If Tapestry did that (moving all controller/view stuff to the client), it
would cease to be a Java Web framework and be a JavaScript framework.
That's not going to happen AFAIK. It would make sense. It would be a
completely different project.

What I undertand from Howard's words is that he wants to make it easy or
easier to write client-side-heavy applications inside Tapestry. In other
words, for example, to make Angular.js a first-class citizen in the
Tapestry world, so you can very easily have Angular.js code interfacing
with Tapestry server-side stuff. Or maybe even components that allow you
to do Angular.js stuff without even writing JavaScript code.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo