Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris Santerre <cs...@MerchantsOverseas.com> on 2006/07/24 16:18:45 UTC

SPAM: Increase in targeted spams

One of our users received a spam today from genutrust .com, URL in spam
CHICHIMECA .COM

This spam was VERY targeted. User's first and last name, complete address,
and her phone number. She informed me her phone number was listed with
initials of her and her husband, not her full name. So she has no idea where
they got this info.

It was already caught as spam, but it definetly has the user a bit nervous.
Looks like the targeted spams to bypass bayes filters is on the rise.

Anyone else see one of these from genutrust?

Chris Santerre
SysAdmin and SARE/URIBL ninja
http://www.uribl.com
http://www.rulesemporium.com

Re: Increase in targeted spams

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Chris Santerre" <cs...@MerchantsOverseas.com>

> One of our users received a spam today from genutrust .com, URL in spam
> CHICHIMECA .COM
>
> This spam was VERY targeted. User's first and last name, complete address,
> and her phone number. She informed me her phone number was listed with
> initials of her and her husband, not her full name. So she has no idea where
> they got this info.
>
> It was already caught as spam, but it definetly has the user a bit nervous.
> Looks like the targeted spams to bypass bayes filters is on the rise.
>
> Anyone else see one of these from genutrust?

If she includes her address in signature blocks on emails a good
harvesting program on a mailing list will find it. Then some use of
things such as reverse lookup phone books will give phone number
and last name associated with it. And usually email signatures include
the first name.

It is not particularly difficult for people to do if the phone number
is listed at all and is not entirely pseudonymous in nature. That is
why I tend to be rather vague about where I live, South West corner
of San Bernardino County suffices for any sane needs. And I'm not in
any phone book. That does make it more difficult for targeted spam
operations.

(And the pseudonymous listing with a phone that has a hold button
is great fun when they ask for Fran Finkels or something on our
phone. "Oh, she's in the bathroom at the moment. I'll let her know
about your call. Please hold. <click>")

{^_^}

Re: SPAM: Increase in targeted spams

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, John Rudd wrote:

> Any service sending ads that doesn't regularly ask "still want to
> be on our list?" and automatically unsubscribe anyone who doesn't
> positively respond, has no business saying that they're not
> sending spam.

Most definitely true.

> To: Genutrust <ge...@mytrashmail.com>

Oh, *that* email address inspires a *lot* of trust...

Is somebody trolling?

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org

Re: SPAM: Increase in targeted spams

Posted by John Rudd <jr...@ucsc.edu>.
I see this statement every so often, and frankly, I don't buy it.

If I sign up for a product registration with one of your partners, it
should not be my burden to be sure your partners don't use it for spam
and don't give it to you for spam (and, yes, it's still spam in that
situation).  It's YOUR burden to ensure that you're not sending
advertisements to anyone who doesn't want them.  It's not their burden
to ask to be taken off of a list they didn't want to be on in the first
place.

Posted by Genutrust <ge...@mytrashmail.com>.