Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/21 01:49:31 UTC

[VOTE]: Graduate Apache jclouds as an Apache Top Level Project

The Apache jclouds project entered incubation in April of 2013, and since
then has shipped two releases, added a committer, and transitioned
thoroughly into the Apache Way for decision-making, development process,
etc. Our website[1] conforms, so far as we can tell, with Apache's
standards, the existing jclouds registered trademark has been transferred
to the ASF[2], we've decided on a set of project bylaws[4], and now we've
held a vote[5] on a graduation resolution[6, and below] to be added to the
agenda for the next ASF board meeting.

The vote has passed[7] with 7 binding PPMC +1s and 4 binding mentor +1s, so
on behalf of the Apache jclouds project, I'd like to request the IPMC's
approval for our graduation. Thanks!
Please cast your vote:
[ ] +1 Graduate the Apache jclouds podling from Apache Incubator as a TLP[
] +0 Indifferent to the graduation status of Apache jclouds podling[ ] -1
Reject graduation of Apache jclouds podling from Apache Incubator because
The vote will be open for 72 hours, until 5pm PDT on Monday, September 23rd.
[1]: http://jclouds.incubator.apache.org/[2]:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-37[3]:
http://apache.markmail.org/thread/q6sqwspp55sjtk2v[4]:
https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/Bylaws[5]:
http://markmail.org/thread/vnnvej3q7sla3btl[6]:
https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/GraduationCharter[7]:
http://apache.markmail.org/thread/55d6vle5be43gwtv

Thanks again -The Apache jclouds project
-------
WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the bestinterests of the
Foundation and consistent with the Foundation'spurpose to establish a
Project Management Committee charged withthe creation and maintenance of
open-source software related toproviding a cloud agnostic library for the
JVM that enablesdevelopers to access a variety of supported cloud providers
usingone API, for distribution at no charge to the public.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project ManagementCommittee (PMC),
to be known as the "The Apache jclouds Project",be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of theFoundation; and be it further
RESOLVED, that The Apache jclouds Project be and hereby isresponsible for
the creation and maintenance of a softwareproject related to providing a
cloud agnostic library for the JVMthat enables developers to access a
variety of supported cloudproviders using one API; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, jclouds" be andhereby is
created, the person holding such office to serve at thedirection of the
Board of Directors as the chair of The Apachejclouds Project, and to have
primary responsibility formanagement of the projects within the scope of
responsibility ofThe Apache jclouds Project; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be andhereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of TheApache jclouds Project:
 * Adrian Cole         (adriancole@apache.org) * Andrew Bayer        (
abayer@apache.org) * Andrew Gaul         (gaul@apache.org) * Andrew
Phillips     (andrewp@apache.org) * Becca Wood          (silkysun@apache.org) *
Everett Toews       (everett@apache.org) * David Nalley        (
ke4qqq@apache.org) * Ignasi Barrera      (nacx@apache.org) * Ioannis
Canellos    (iocanel@apache.org) * Matt Stephenson     (mattstep@apache.org)
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Andrew Bayer be andhereby is
appointed to the office of Vice President, jclouds, toserve in accordance
with and subject to the direction of the Boardof Directors and the Bylaws
of the Foundation until death,resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until asuccessor is appointed; and be it further
RESOLVED, that the initial Apache jclouds Project be and herebyis tasked
with the migration and rationalization of the ApacheIncubator jclouds
podling; and be it further
RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the ApacheIncubator jclouds
podling encumbered upon the Apache IncubatorPMC are hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE]: Graduate Apache jclouds as an Apache Top Level Project

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@skife.org>.
And a belated +1, not that it needs the extra vote, but jclouds functions
great!

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 05:00:27PM -0700, Andrew Bayer wrote:
> argh, line breaks all vanished in weird ways. Here's a better format:
>
> The Apache jclouds project entered incubation in April of 2013, and since
> then has shipped two releases, added a committer, and transitioned
> thoroughly into the Apache Way for decision-making, development process,
> etc. Our website[1] conforms, so far as we can tell, with Apache's
> standards, the existing jclouds registered trademark has been transferred
> to the ASF[2], we've decided on a set of project bylaws[4], and now we've
> held a vote[5] on a graduation resolution[6, and below] to be added to the
> agenda for the next ASF board meeting.
> The vote has passed[7] with 7 binding PPMC +1s and 4 binding mentor +1s, so
> on behalf of the Apache jclouds project, I'd like to request the IPMC's
> approval for our graduation. Thanks!
>
> Please cast your vote:
>
> [ ] +1 Graduate the Apache jclouds podling from Apache Incubator as a TLP
> [ ] +0 Indifferent to the graduation status of Apache jclouds podling
> [ ] -1 Reject graduation of Apache jclouds podling from Apache Incubator
> because ...
>
> The vote will be open for 72 hours, until 5pm PDT on Monday, September 23rd.
>
> [1]: http://jclouds.incubator.apache.org/
> [2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-37
> [3]: http://apache.markmail.org/thread/q6sqwspp55sjtk2v
> [4]: https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/Bylaws
> [5]: http://markmail.org/thread/vnnvej3q7sla3btl
> [6]: https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/GraduationCharter
> [7]: http://apache.markmail.org/thread/55d6vle5be43gwtv
>
> Thanks again -
> The Apache jclouds project

+1 (binding) - I've been quietly lurking on the jclouds lists, and it's great
to see the project take this step.

Re: [VOTE]: Graduate Apache jclouds as an Apache Top Level Project

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
This is slightly off topic and it will also be non-relevant if the
graduation vote passes, but since you've mentioned branding conformance in
your email.

I've noticed that there is an incubator logo, but the website is missing a
standard "incubator disclaimer" (
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#disclaimers).