Posted to proton@qpid.apache.org by Jelani Brandon <Je...@microsoft.com> on 2015/07/17 18:59:29 UTC

Unknown Settle

I'm having an issue with the pn_messenger_settle API that I'd like to see if you can clear up.  We have a loop that uses non-blocking sends to transmit messages and attempts to settle them when they come back from the server.  The server replies in non-sequential order and when we attempt to settle we get an PN_STATUS_UNKNOW.  The message have been accepted, but it looks like the output window was shifted beyond the settle transaction prematurely.  Here are the steps as to what is happening:

*         The application is sending 20 messages to the server

*         We set the outgoing window to 10

*         We send message index  0 through 9

*         The server sends disposition frames back in this order 1, 5, 9, 2, 9, 6, 7

*         We settle the trackers in this order 1, 3, 5, 7, 9

*         We then send message index 10 through 14

*         The server sends disposition frames for message 0, 4, 8

*         Then we settle frame 0 and get an unknown Status

It seems that if we try to settle any tracker that is [OutgoingWindowSize-MaxTrackerSent] then we get an PN_STATUS_UNKNOWN.  Is there any way to remedy this situation?
I've attached the proton trace that illustrates this situation.

Thank you for the help,
Jelani Brandon