Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jdijkmeijer <na...@dijkmeijer.com> on 2007/10/28 14:11:39 UTC

maven ear building

Hi i'm quite new to Maven, and I'm currently looking into some existing
code/poms to genereate a ear project
it uses icefaces together with seam 2.0. the icefaces jars and dependencies
should go in the root of the ear as these are also used by the ejb-jar.
At this moment I'm getting a lot of duplicate jars in my ear/war so I'm
trying to iron those out. Unfortunately there's quite a steep curve in
learning maven and I dont get it anymore.
As part of my (big) problem I'm trying to resolve depencies on the project
but this gives me an error:

Missing:
----------
1) groupid:projectid_war:war:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
which to my understanding is caused by:
..
    <dependency>
      <groupId>groupid</groupId>
      <artifactId>projectid_war</artifactId>
      <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
      <type>war</type>
    </dependency>
..
the pom of the war looks contains:
..
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>groupid</groupId>
  <artifactId>projectid_war</artifactId>
  <packaging>war</packaging>
  <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <name>Projectid (war)</name>
  <description>Projectid (war)</description>
  <url>http://www.groupid.nl/projectid</url>
..
which finally installs:
     [exec] [INFO] Installing
/Users/jerry/dev/projectid/projectid_war/target/projectid_war-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.war
/Users/jerry/dev/projectid/MavenRepository/groupid/projectid_war/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/projectid_war-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.war

Now what I understand (after doing some googling and finding:
http://www.pivolis.com/pdf/J2EE_projectids_Maven_V1.1.pdf, unfortunately I
didnt see the "maven_v1.1") is that
groupid:projectid_war:war:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT goes looking into the repositories
for
groupid/projectid_war/war(s?)/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/projectid_war-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.war
Which is almost correct except that the /war/ part is missing in the install
directory.

Is there something I'm missing?
Or can someone point me to some nice tutorials on how to setup maven for the
afore mentioned usecase? Maven looks really promising but for me the
documentation is a bit cryptic sometime I'd appreciate some more problem
driven documentation.

kind regards,
Jeroen.

PS I'm using maven 2.0.0.6 on mac os x 10.4.9 with the latest and the
greatest jdk 1.5

Re: maven ear building

Posted by Martin Hoeller <ma...@xss.co.at>.
Hi!

On 28. October 2007 jdijkmeijer wrote:

> Hi i'm quite new to Maven, and I'm currently looking into some existing
> code/poms to genereate a ear project

Read the coresponding chapters in the really good books
"Better Builds with Maven" from DevZuZz [1] and "Maven: The Definitive
Guide" from Sonatype [2].

> it uses icefaces together with seam 2.0. the icefaces jars and
> dependencies should go in the root of the ear as these are also used by
> the ejb-jar.

For Seam integration I recommend the blog [3] of Michael Yuan. His book on
Seam is also quite good, although not maven specific!

hth,
- martin

[1] http://www.devzuz.com/web/guest/products/resources#BBWM
[2] http://www.sonatype.com/book/