Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by James Closs <ja...@bitbull.com> on 2005/08/15 17:47:17 UTC

newbie - can't get VelocityServlet to read configuration file

Hi,

I've just started working with Velocity under Mac OSX using the book
'Pro Jakarta Velocity' and am having one problem...

I've set up a simple 'Hello, World' type servlet as a subclass of
VelocityServlet. It works, but I can't get it to read any sort of
configuration parameters.

I have in my web.xml file the following:

<servlet>
   <servlet-name>HelloWorldVelocity</servlet-name>
   <servlet-class>
     com.maturus.battletextwww.HelloWorldVelocity
   </servlet-class>

   <init-param>
     <param-name>properties</param-name>
     <param-value>/velocity.properties</param-value>
</init-param>
</servlet>

...and my velocity.properties file (which is in the correct place) is:

resource.loader=file,class

# FILE RESOURCE LOADER
file.resource.loader.class =
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader
file.resource.loader.path = /Developer/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.31/webapps/
battletxt/WEB-INF/classes
file.resource.loader.cache = false
file.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval = 2

# CLASSPATH RESOURCE LOADER
class.resource.loader.class=org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.
ClasspathResourceLoader
class.resource.loader.cache=false
class.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval=1

...however none of these settings appear to impact the velocity
runtime whatsoever. I presume the <init-param> is being read OK as
when I change the reference to a file that doesn't exist I get an
error as one would expect.

Any help much appreciated...

====

James Closs, Director, bitBull Ltd

http://www.bitbull.com

07771 991171

====

Re: newbie - can't get VelocityServlet to read configuration file

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
my recommendation would be to not use the VelocityServlet.  it's
deprecated and scheduled for removal from Velocity.  it's replacement
is the VelocityViewServlet in the VelocityTools project
(http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/tools/index.html).  it has
ready-to-run examples (packaged as WAR files) that you can tweak and
use as a base, and it is much more user friendly than the
VelocityServlet.  you'll find most of VelocityTools very useful in
designing web applications. :)