Posted to users@flex.apache.org by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net> on 2019/04/03 22:55:02 UTC

Porting Flex/AIR to the web

I have written  3 mobile and desktop AIR apps, and to give my users as many
options as possible, I want to provide web versions as well just in case
they don't have access to their personal devices.  I really don't enjoy web
programming at all, so if there is any way possible, I would love to be able
to leverage my current AIR projects and port them to the web.  Now that
Flash is about to end, what is my best option for porting my Flex/AIR
projects to the web?

Re: Porting Flex/AIR to the web

Posted by Gustavo Aquino Mantovani <gu...@gmail.com>.
As far as I know, Royale is the successor to flexjs and yes, is being
currently developed and Carlos Rivera posted some weeks ago that he
deployed a production app using Royale. I would say it's a safe bet so far.

Posted by Gustavo Aquino Mantovani <gu...@gmail.com>.
For the same reason, I have my eyes on Apache Royale. It's easier if you go
there (https://royale.apache.org) instead of me explaining the concept.

Regards

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Most (probably all) browsers have caching, but you may not be able to rely on your app being cached.

A web app can't do everything a desktop or mobile app can do (and vice-versa), so I recommend that you stop to consider what features you actually can deliver over the web, then consider how to deliver it.  If your users are only temporarily away from their devices, they may not need access to every feature.  If they are using a borrowed browser, how will they remember what URL to navigate to?  If they are just going to their company's main site to login, the main site can redirect them to smaller sub-sections of the app.

Royale (and Flex) support the concept of Modules where portions of the app can be downloaded on demand.  A FormManager web app wouldn't have every form in the initial download, it would download the form the user chooses.

HTH,
-Alex

On 4/4/19, 8:53 AM, "bilbosax" <wa...@comcast.net> wrote:

    Thanks for the detailed information Alex. I have never written a web app in
    any language, so have just a couple of concerns. One is bandwidth and
    expense. My AIR app is big enough that if the app needs to be downloaded
    every single time a person wants to toy around with it, it would get quite
    expensive for me. Do web apps get cached on a users device so that it
    doesn't have to be downloaded with every use? If so, how does it know when
    you have made a change to the app that requires it to be downloaded again?

    --
    Sent from: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C6d792dea805e42d6ed5e08d6b915bb4f%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636899900322130078&amp;sdata=sDzsoxGbaCYLJFEvVZgHGvPXeR5Gpf%2BlLbzeOliR2lk%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Porting Flex/AIR to the web