Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/06/17 03:37:54 UTC

Re: Tasks for GPL-ed tools (Was: Re: Problems with licenses (GPL, LGPL) and task writing)

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:37, Weiqi Gao wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2001 10:50:50 +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> > [...] I am not a lawyer [...]
>
> Going back to the original question: "I wrote an Ant task for a GPL-ed
> tool.  Does that force my task to be GPL-ed too?  Can it be included in
> Ant?"
>
> These points seem to be clear:
>
> 1. GPL-ed code can't go into Ant CVS (or any other Apache projects).
>
> 2. If the task uses the GPL-ed tool through a command line interface,
> the the task would not be forced to be GPL-ed.
>
> 3. If the task calls into the GPL-ed tool through a programming
> interface, then the task would be forced to be GPL-ed.
>
> What about using reflection (assuming the GPL-ed tool is a Java tool)?

I used to think so (it *seems* to be allowed if you use a well established
interface). However I was told by one of the guys at the FSF that this is a
no *unless* it conforms to an established, widely implementable interface. ie
I could write a GPLed servlet, GPLed ejb etc and run them in non-GPL
containers. However I have got different answers depending on who I asked -
so I am not sure ;) I would recomend pleeing with the writers of GPL
library/tool to see if they would make it LGPL, Mozilla, BSD or virtually any
other license ;)

Cheers,

Pete