Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by 中谷 智晴 <na...@mti.co.jp> on 2002/06/05 12:38:20 UTC

starting tomcat from the service

My name is Chiharu Nakatani.  I have found your name and e-mail address from
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/NT-Service-howto.html

I am trying to startup tomcat from the service and am facing some problems.

I can't start Tomcat after installing tomcat to the
service, using jk_nt_service.exe.

The error is "the service didn't report an error ->
net helpmsg 3534".

I can startup tomcat from hitting a startup.bat file, in
C:\tomcat\bin\startup
but never from the service.

This is the environment I have on my machine, that is Windows 2000 Server.
C:\tomcat
C:\jdk1.3.1
I have environmental variables on tomcat_home,
and java_home. Also, I have specified those
in the wrapper.properties.
wrapper.tomcat_home=c:\tomcat
#
# wrapper.java_home should point to your Java installation. Normally
# you should have a bin and lib directories beneath it.
#
wrapper.java_home=c:\jdk1.3.1

What can be wrong?

Chiharu Nakatani

MTI Ltd. 4F Shinjuku Kokusai Bldg. Shinkan 6-6-3
NishiShinjuku, Shinjuku-ku Tokyo Japan,160-0023
TEL:+81-3-5325-6211 FAX:+81-3-5325-6223
E-Mail:nakatani_c@mti.co.jp

RE: starting tomcat from the service

Posted by Kevin Yank <ke...@sitepoint.com>.
I'd recommend ditching jk_nt_service. Tomcat can install itself as a service just fine. You'll find the instructions to do so in my article, "JSP Quick-Start Guide for Windows" on www.webmasterbase.com.

Kevin Yank
Technical Content Director
SitePoint.com - Master the Web!

e: kevin@sitepoint.com