Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Gurpreet Singh <gu...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/10 05:17:35 UTC

IOException: Value too large for defined data type (Cassandra 0.6.5)

I am using Cassandra 0.6.5, and playing with bootstrapping, decommissioning
nodes.
The latest one i hit is the exception down below. I got this exception twice
on the source machine while streaming, in 2 different scenarios (both
involved streaming though)
1. Bootstrapping another machine from the source
2. Decommissioning the source machine
I am finally moving out of that machine to a larger machine, by just scping
the data out.

Some information about the machines in the cluster, in case that is of any
help.
This machine is a 4 gig RAM box, 32 bit, debian machine. Cassandra was
started with 2 gigs.
The other 2 machines in the cluster are 16 gig RAM box, 64 bit, debian.

I searched around and saw that someone has encountered this issue before,
but the fix is supposed to be in an earlier version of cassandra, and hence
this email.

ERROR [MESSAGE-STREAMING-POOL:1] 2010-09-09 19:27:09,110
DebuggableThreadPoolExecutor.java (line 101) Error in ThreadPoolExecutor
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: Value too large for defined
data type
at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:34)
at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:885)
at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:907)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Value too large for defined data type
at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo0(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferToDirectly(FileChannelImpl.java:418)
at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.transferTo(FileChannelImpl.java:519)
at org.apache.cassandra.net.FileStreamTask.stream(FileStreamTask.java:96)
at
org.apache.cassandra.net.FileStreamTask.runMayThrow(FileStreamTask.java:64)
at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:30)
... 3 more

Re: IOException: Value too large for defined data type (Cassandra 0.6.5)

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
In the past that has meant "you need to upgrade to the latest JDK."

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra