Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2013/01/04 16:10:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] taking Apache Flex to the next level

Hi all,

A discussion on the PMC list brought up an interesting point, which I
think this list can contribute to:

Can we give a clear definition of this project's future?

Come context: the discussion started when the returning issue of
non-coding committers/PMC members reared it's head again. We ended up
talking about "marketing" Apache Flex to the rest of the world, in
order raise the visibility and create/maintain a broad(er) user base.
Someone brought up that in order to be able to do effective marketing,
we should first define the project's future...

So, what are your thoughts? How would you define the future of Apache
Flex, and how would you market it?

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

RE: [DISCUSS] taking Apache Flex to the next level

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
> Someone brought up that in order to be able to do effective marketing, we should first define the project's future...

I am a non-coding project contributor & marketing professional. I do not think that the future must be defined to do an effective job marketing. I will give you an example of recent effective marketing being done today without describing a future for Flex. It is the December 2012 Spoon Community Revue [1]

[1] http://www.spoon.as/2012/apache-flex-community-revue-december-2012-2/

Re: [DISCUSS] taking Apache Flex to the next level

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Examples would be great.

One thing we can do now is market what Flex *is* (we have that description
in a few places) and that *we are making it better*. That is that we fixing
bugs, adding new components, removing dependencies, setting up Mustella
tests, cutting new releases, working on the new Falcon compiler, updating a
Flex SDK installer for easy installation, pursuing a Git workflow, etc.

We can also mention what we are talking about on the list. That is adding a
JS target, adding AOP in Falcon, adding plugin support to Falcon, more
support to get members setup, etc.

We can also talk about what we have done. That is received legal clearance
of Flex resources from Adobe including the SDK itself, Mustella, the
in-development Flex Next components. We also built an Flex SDK installer,
fixed bugs, added new features, setup whiteboards, imported Jira history,
created a new logo, worked on a official website design and many more I'm
not including, etc

So we can give them a picture of where we are, what we've done and what
we're talking about doing next. From that they can form their own opinion
about where we are going. We can also tell them that since this is an open
source project they can help create Flex's future by contributing.

But yeah, examples, would be great. Especially, a few full blown
applications that they could download and import that targeted multiple
devices and operating systems (or show it running on multiple platforms).
Adobe had some things going in this direction. We can also point them to
the official Adobe Flex site. That information is nearly all relevant. At
one point I was hoping to go through the site and fill in all the gaps but
I didn't see anyway to do that (ran into roadblocks as well as others who
have tried to update it).

We can also mention what we as community members would like to see or hope
to accomplish, what we would be able to help out with and so on.

While we're mentioning it an example explorer, like Tour de Flex, online
and in the browser, would be great. But I would really like to go through
it, update and clean up the examples (add more examples as well including
support for skinning).

BTW Do we have a list of what we've accomplished, what we're working on,
etc somewhere online? Do the monthly minutes include all that?

We really need a blog that we can update as well as a feed for those
working with Flex. Now that I think of it the site needs a lot of work.

Posted by sc...@mac.com.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 1/4/13 9:37 AM, "Michael Schmalle" <ap...@teotigraphix.com> wrote:

>> Anything we say about the future right now is likely to be met with
>> suspicion anyway.  I think this is a critical year for Flex.  We have to
>> build a track record of releases that show that we are making progress.
>
> And here in sits the outside view. Since anything that is in
> whiteboards or not included with releases in the next years will fall
> on deaf ears... Unless the blog is updated regularly, the website has
> layman terms explanations of current projects (maybe more conducive to
> actually clicking links and "discovering what we are about"), right
> now it looks like a developers site, not a users site. Why would a
> user venture past the "download" link if it resembles a "how to build
> the sdk or checkout code.
True, but would be far better to show examples/tutorials instead of just
words.  I haven't tried to update the site, but it seems like there is no

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Quoting Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>:

> On 1/4/13 8:38 AM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:
>
>> Alex, I see where you're coming from, and I don't necessarily disagree
>> on principle, but your statement does not compute:
>>
>> Success is meeting or exceeding expectations, but this project can't
>> have expectations because of the way it's set up... Does this mean you
>> don't see any way for this project to be successful?
> The further into the future you try to set expectations, the more error you
> are likely to have when you have volunteer workforces, and therefore there
> is a greater chance that you won't meet those expectations.
>
> But good marketing of the present sets expectations properly and folks can
> immediately find out that it not only works as expected, but works better
> than expected.
>
> That's how I think we can be successful as a project.  By cranking out
> releases that solve problems for people and showing people that they can
> solve their problems today.
>
> Anything we say about the future right now is likely to be met with
> suspicion anyway.  I think this is a critical year for Flex.  We have to
> build a track record of releases that show that we are making progress.

And here in sits the outside view. Since anything that is in
whiteboards or not included with releases in the next years will fall
on deaf ears... Unless the blog is updated regularly, the website has
layman terms explanations of current projects (maybe more conducive to
actually clicking links and "discovering what we are about"), right
now it looks like a developers site, not a users site. Why would a
user venture past the "download" link if it resembles a "how to build
the sdk or checkout code.

I'm not a web designer nor have the time for it but that is a HUGE
weak link right there and the blog. Plus it's all free advertising
that we are not totally taking advantage of.

Ans I agree, I can't guarantee I will be here in 1 month let alone 1
year. But Alex is right, the advertisement is about the now.

Mike

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Alex, I see where you're coming from, and I don't necessarily disagree
on principle, but your statement does not compute:

Success is meeting or exceeding expectations, but this project can't
have expectations because of the way it's set up... Does this mean you
don't see any way for this project to be successful?

I'm exaggerating the point because I think it is key to the message we
can send to the world, not to be antagonistic per se :-)

EdB

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> At Devoxx and Devoxx France (initially, Devoxx is an annual European Java,
> Android and HTML5 conference which reached 3400 attendees from 40 different
> countries in 2011), Flex is not represented

I was at AnDevCon a month or so ago and run into a lot of people still doing Flex work and companies working on mobile apps using Flex. There wasn't a single session on Flex however - there was one a couple of open source talks.

There's another AnDevCon in Boston in May and they are looking for speakers.  Anyone what to submit a Flex session?

Thanks,
Justin

RE: [DISCUSS] taking Apache Flex to the next level

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

At Devoxx and Devoxx France (initially, Devoxx is an annual European Java,
Android and HTML5 conference which reached 3400 attendees from 40 different
countries in 2011), Flex is not represented since Adobe doesn't own it
anymore, I guess there are many other kinds of places like that where Adobe
Flex was represented and where it's not the case anymore, I guess a good
start could be to enumerate those conferences and organize to have speakers
there to introduce Flex as in how it is powerful in the perspective of the
current technical needs (Eg those unmet by HTML5 in big company projects).

-Fred

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.