Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Joe Hammerman <jh...@squarespace.com.INVALID> on 2018/07/24 16:52:15 UTC

Single node in six node broker pool is under-utilized

Hi Kafka users email distribution list,

We have a six member broker pool. Traffic amongst the nodes is drastically
uneven - at the extremes we have one node transmitting and receiving %35 of
all traffic in and out of the pool, and another node transmitting only %1
of total traffic. We have attempted a cluster rebalance.

Is there any method for alleviating this hot spot node, and making use of
the under-utilized resource on the other node? Should we change our
partition assignment strategy to static fully utilize our cluster resources?

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction anyone can provide,
Joe