Posted to nmaven-dev@incubator.apache.org by Evan Worley <ev...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/11 03:42:36 UTC

Deploying nunit framework assembly to a public repository

Hello All,

As we are preparing for a NMaven release, there are a few questions that
need to be answered.  Most importantly, we will need to deploy NUnit's
framework assembly to a public repository such that NMaven consumers can
compile and run nunit tests.  There are a few questions about this, I will
list them below.

   1. Who is to control the key used to sign the assembly?  NUnit
   provides their key along with their source, but perhaps we want to own the
   key and re-sign the assembly?
   2.
   http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.htmlmentions
a few criteria that we cannot meet for this artifact.  We will not
   have all the requires entries in the pom, such as scm url and licenses.  The
   other bit is that this page says that we must "*provide proof that you
   control the domain",* which we cannot because we don't, though I've
   heard other artifacts have been submitted by non-owners.
   3. How should, if any, the process differ for uploading .net artifacts
   to a public repository?

Thanks for any guidance,
Evan

Re: Deploying nunit framework assembly to a public repository

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 13, 2008 2:12 PM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [moved from maven-dev]
>
> On Jan 11, 2008 4:08 PM, Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So to support this we need to recompile the NUnit assembly with the
> version
> > in the filename. There is no modification of code, just a changing on
> > manifest attributes and the artifact filename. NUnit includes their key
> for
> > signing within the build source, but I tend to think we should use our
> own
> > key so that people can verify the source of the assembly.
>
> Does this really require re-compiling, or just re-packaging with
> changes to the manifest?  IOW, must you have access to the source code
> to do this, or can you just explode the dll, edit a text file, and
> package it up again?

Technically, this is possible but would require more work than a recompile
since the assembly is not an archive. We would have to disassemble the
assembly, change metadata, reassemble and then sign it.

> I thought the last discussions about requiring the version number in
> the filename or not went the other way, and it was _not_ going to be
> required.

This is the long term direction but but not something that NMaven should be
handling. I would expect that such changes will need to be made within Maven
core. However, there is support for system scope, which will allow the user
to include any assembly (with or without versions in the filename) located
on the file system.

Shane

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
[moved from maven-dev]

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
>NUnit includes their key for
>signing within the build source, but I tend to think we should use our
own
>key so that people can verify the source of the assembly.

I agree that if you rebuild, it should use the actual builder's key for
signing. Including the key with the source seems to defeat the purpose
doesn't it?

Re: Deploying nunit framework assembly to a public repository

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
To provide some context on this, we are now using standard artifact
resolvers for .NET assemblies and require that the filename of an assembly
contain the version. This filename is also an attribute within the manifest
of the library assembly and needs to match the actual filename of the
artifact. We are unable to directly modify the attribute to include the
version in the filename since the assembly is signed by the NUnit guys.

So to support this we need to recompile the NUnit assembly with the version
in the filename. There is no modification of code, just a changing on
manifest attributes and the artifact filename. NUnit includes their key for
signing within the build source, but I tend to think we should use our own
key so that people can verify the source of the assembly.

Thanks,
Shane

Posted by Evan Worley <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Fwd: Deploying nunit framework assembly to a public repository

Posted by Evan Worley <ev...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,

Posted by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com>.
I've deployed a snapshot version to
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.maven.dotnet</groupId>
      <artifactId>NUnit.Framework</artifactId>
      <version>2.4.6-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
      <type>dotnet:library</type>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>

Shane