Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Dave King <dj...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/05 21:32:25 UTC

Dynamic Loading of Remote Code?

Total new to OSGi but here's what I'm trying to do.

We receive a connection request that specifies the protocol version.

We don't have a driver for the request protocol version.

We download the driver for the requested version from the requesting
client and start up a handler that version of the protocol.

I understand that OSGi can handle multiple versions of the same class
hierarchy so that why we're looking at OSGi.

As of version 4, I think it should be able to handle the dynamic side
of this as well.

Any wag as to how hard this would be to do with iPOGO?  Am I insane or
is there a tutorial that does that and I've missed it?

We'd need to customize the dynamic deployment of code, but I have no
idea where to start looking for that.

Any help appreciated.

- Peace
Dave

Re: Dynamic Loading of Remote Code?

Posted by Ben Coughlan <be...@gmail.com>.
No, that would work just fine.  You'll also find you can install from
a URL, so if you're drivers are hosted on a web server, you can point
directly at http://example.com/driver.jar.  The downloaded bundle is
cached somewhere within your OSGi runtime filesystem.

If you're really keen, you can use the OSGi Bundle Repository to help
resolve all of the driver bundles dependencies too.

Ben

Posted by Dave King <dj...@gmail.com>.