Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by CharlesLai <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/09 18:31:41 UTC

Help with SA body rule with *.info in body

Could someone help me with a SA body rule that would catch the email below?
These are the only ones consistently getting past SA, and they always have
an email address with a .info domain. I’d like the rule to catch any message
with an *@*.info domain since we have no one legitimate that we can think of
that would use a .info domain or email address. I know there are some legit
.info domains out there, but the vast majority are spammers.

 --------

Hello! I am bored this evening. I am nice girl that would like to chat with
you. Email me at k@mailmessagecenter.info only, because I am writing not
from my personal email. If you would like to see some of my pictures.

Sincerely,

Charles Lai

Re: Help with SA body rule with *.info in body

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
> Could someone help me with a SA body rule that would
> catch the email below? These are the only ones
> consistently getting past SA, and they always have an
> email address with a .info domain. I’d like the rule to
> catch any message with an *@*.info domain since we have
> no one legitimate that we can think of that would use a
> .info domain or email address. I know there are some
> legit .info domains out there, but the vast majority are
> spammers.
>
> --------
>
> Hello! I am bored this evening. I am nice girl that would
> like to chat with you. Email me at
> k@mailmessagecenter.info only, because I am writing not
> from my personal email. If you would like to see some of
> my pictures.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Charles Lai

I copy  & pasted that snippet (no headers, only data) to spamassassin, and this is what I got:

 pts rule name              description
 5.0 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
                            [score: 0.9987]
 0.0 MISSING_MID            Missing Message-Id: header
 0.0 MISSING_DATE           Missing Date: header
-0.0 NO_RELAYS              Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP
 2.5 MISSING_HB_SEP         Missing blank line between message header and body
 1.3 MISSING_HEADERS        Missing To: header
 1.8 MISSING_SUBJECT        Missing Subject: header
-0.0 NO_RECEIVED            Informational: message has no Received headers
 0.0 NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE     Message appears to be missing most RFC-822 headers

Ok, most rules just because there was no headers. But the point is that BAYES_99 was triggered!

If you trust your bayes training, just tune it up to 5.0.

Re: Help with SA body rule with *.info in body

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
In an older episode (Friday, 10. August 2007), John D. Hardin wrote:

> > uri LOCAL_EMAILDOTINFO /\@\S{1,50}\.info$/
>
> "uri" also picks up bare email addresses in the message body?

It does it here when I run SA on an mbox file with only Charles' mail in
it.

> Or does that only work with mailto: URIs?

There is no /mailto:\S+\.info/ in that mbox file, the only mailto's are
way up in the list headers ...

Regards,

wolfgang

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
To catch an email address in an *.info domain, try this rule:

uri LOCAL_EMAILDOTINFO /\@\S{1,50}\.info$/

Afaik, using uri instead of body has the advantage that it will only
parse URIs, not the entire body ... thus info is anchored at the end of
the regex.