Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/04 11:34:41 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Support lifetime

On Feb 28, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013, at 03:00 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
>> I stated my opinion on this previously [1], but for the record again:
>>
>> I would suggest that we only do bug-fix releases for:
>>
>> - The latest feature release of our active major version number (i.e.:
>>  4.x)

To make sure I get this right:

So Once we release 4.2 we will only bug fix 4.1 and stop bug fixing 4.0 ?

>> - The latest feature release of our last major version number (doesn't
>>  exist today, but will be 4.x when / if we bump to 5.0)

Once we jump to 5.X we will bug fix the latest 4.x release (if it's 4.2, we will stop bug fixing 4.1) ?

The really crucial part for me is to make sure we have a really solid/tested upgrade path. We cannot leave anyone out in the cold of a "unsupported" release.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 04:55 AM, Prasanna Santhanam wrote:
> The 4.0.1-incubating release only had one database change
> (91a9cce35a67350c856bb10e5fe36f4bf5bac029) so it's probably a good
> time to decide on a strategy for upgrades from the 4.0.x line to the
> 4.x-5.0 line.

That particular issue might benefit from a separate thread, since it's
something that needs to be discussed regardless of what support timeline
we decide on.

Best,

jzb

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
In minor CloudStack version we OUGHT NOT change the DB schema, maybe
we should not even change the DB version, comment?
So, all minor version should have version info in DB as 4.0 (for 4.0,
4.0.1 and 4.0.2) and 4.1 (possible future 4.1.xs) etc.

Regards.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 10:59:49AM -0600, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 09:03 AM, David Nalley wrote:
> > So software typically has several stages:
> >
> > Does end of support mean both of these things simultaneously.
> > No more bugfixes
> > No more security fixes
> >
> > So wearing your enterprise software consumer hat - does a support
> > lifetime of approximately 12 months make sense? (not saying it
> > doesn't, just asking the question) Under the above proposal we'd end
> > support for the 4.0 line after 4.2 releases. (I'd personally say we
> > should add a month (so that EOL is one month after 4.n+2 releases,
> > with the understanding that 4.n is likely to only receive security
> > fixes if any during that extra one month window)
>
> Does it matter if we're ending support for 4.0.x if the users can
> reliably upgrade to 4.2.x and we're sticking to a no API breakage
> policy?

IMO, that was the reason that I suggested it the way I did.  Perhaps we
consider security updates for the last X feature releases, but bug fixes
(non-security) are (again IMO) probably OK being limited to the last
feature release.

> Note that a policy saying that we will support (say) 4.2 and 5.0
> wouldn't preclude also pushing out a security fix for 4.1 and 4.0 if it
> was not overly difficult to backport the security fix.

Right

> The biggest concerns I have are: 1) finding people to address bugs in
> older releases and 2) testing the releases - so I'd like to be
> conservative in what we promise, but there's no reason we can't
> over-deliver if we see a security issue that needs to be addressed.

Those are my exact same concerns.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 04:36:10AM -0500, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2013, at 11:17 AM, "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net> wrote:

I'm against 12 months of support for all feature branches.  Primarily,
I'm concerned with the effort required.  Secondarily, I feel that if we
maintain upgrade paths and we stick to the *spirit* (which is greater
than the word) of semver, then we leave users in a reasonable position.

Re: [DISCUSS] Support lifetime

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 10:03:51AM -0500, David Nalley wrote:
> So software typically has several stages:
>
> Does end of support mean both of these things simultaneously.
> No more bugfixes
> No more security fixes
>
> So wearing your enterprise software consumer hat - does a support
> lifetime of approximately 12 months make sense? (not saying it
> doesn't, just asking the question) Under the above proposal we'd end
> support for the 4.0 line after 4.2 releases. (I'd personally say we
> should add a month (so that EOL is one month after 4.n+2 releases,
> with the understanding that 4.n is likely to only receive security
> fixes if any during that extra one month window)

So for bugfixes, I'm going to stick to my guns with the proposal.
Semver is our friend, as long as we use it correctly.  We should
encourage upgrades as we move along with new features.

As for security fixes, I'd be ok with adding some amount of time-based
expectation to the overall process.

Re: [DISCUSS] Support lifetime

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.