Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Ty Young <yo...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/16 15:11:06 UTC

Netbeans 12 minor to moderate bug list

Hi all,

Netbeans, as of 12, has improved dramatically(refactoring is no longer
something I avoid like the plague, mostly) but like with all large
projects there is those smaller bugs that users can and do run into. I'd
like to share some of them in case there is any existing bug reports I'm
not aware of or maybe someone has some things I can try to better
reproduce things before I file to JIRA. I plan on doing it soon(TM).

Starting things off is the editor. It seems like it gets stuck waiting
to process something, resulting in all sorts of issues:

-If a project is running(JavaFX app, for example) code completion and
prompting will sometimes not work until the project has finished
running. For example, attempting to autocomplete an import statement
"org.foo.<whatever>" will result in no completion prompt.

-Sometimes code will be underlined as if it has an error but it does
not. The only way to fix this is by restarting the IDE[1]. Of not is
that this used to be absolutely terrible way back in Netbeans 8.2 but
since the performance improvements some time ago, it's rarely an issue.
Ignore the command line output, it's irrelevant.

-When launching Netbeans 12 and switched to the "FlatLaf Dark" theme,
variable names were not shaded purple until Maven finished indexing(or
was it scanning also? Not sure). Keywords such as "public", "private"
etc are all shaded gold as they should be.

That's all for the editor. The rest are kinda all over the place:

-When using GTK Look and Feel, comboboxes will have difference sizes
than one another[1][2]. This is not true for "FlatLaf Dark".

-IDE auto-completion for Java 9 modules "provides <service> with
<implementation>" is borked[3].

-When exporting IDE settings, Netbeans does not auto-generate a name for
the settings zip[4] nor does it force a user to set one or throw an
error if they did.

-JavaFX project generated by Netbeans 12 beta cannot be profiled due to
missing runtime dependencies[5]. You can start the project and then
attach-to-process just fine.

-There might be a few random refactoring bugs remaining. I remember
renaming a class and Netbeans 12 beta(3, I think) decided to randomly
not change the name on a few classes in the import statements. Happened
awhile ago and I don't think there was an exception this time, sorry.
Again, It's way better than it used to be.

Again, if bug reports don't already exist for these or If no one has
anything to add I'll start making bug reports soon(TM).

[1] https://imgur.com/a/5mkl16P

[2] https://imgur.com/a/ZIZzlgT

[3] https://imgur.com/a/seN9KKP

[4] https://imgur.com/a/IAh6XnD

[5] https://imgur.com/a/74ur4zc

Re: Netbeans 12 minor to moderate bug list

Posted by Ty Young <yo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/16/20 10:11 AM, Ty Young wrote:

> -There might be a few random refactoring bugs remaining. I remember
> renaming a class and Netbeans 12 beta(3, I think) decided to randomly
> not change the name on a few classes in the import statements.
> Happened awhile ago and I don't think there was an exception this
> time, sorry. Again, It's way better than it used to be.

Just had to refactor something and this refactoring issue came up. Every
class that used the interface was renamed correctly except the interface
file itself which had static factory methods. There was no exception
reported by Netbeans for it, either.

Re: Netbeans 12 minor to moderate bug list

Posted by Ty Young <yo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/16/20 12:14 PM, Eric J. Schwarzenbach wrote:

> On 6/16/20 11:11 AM, Ty Young wrote:
>> -Sometimes code will be underlined as if it has an error but it does
>> not. The only way to fix this is by restarting the IDE[1]. Of not is
>> that this used to be absolutely terrible way back in Netbeans 8.2 but
>> since the performance improvements some time ago, it's rarely an
>> issue. Ignore the command line output, it's irrelevant.
>>
> When this happens, do you find an error underline on the import line
> for this class or package (if I remember right it will something like
> just the "com." of the line that's underlined, or something like that?).

No, although you reminded me of a detail I forgot: when this happens,
alt+enter class import options break so that it does nothing once
selected or if it does do something, Netbeans doesn't recognize that it
exists.

Re: Netbeans 12 minor to moderate bug list

Posted by "Eric J. Schwarzenbach" <er...@wrycan.com>.