Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ben curthoys <bc...@artifax.net> on 2004/12/20 16:04:21 UTC

case sensitivity

i'm using subversion to manage the source code for a vb project.

of the many unhelpful things that vb does, the one that causes me
trouble is to do with case sensitivity and variable names.

vb is case insensitive, so
	dim X as long
	x = 5
is fine, but to be helpful it auto corrects your code so that if you did
type
	dim X as long
and then
	x = 5
it would change the last line to
	X = 5
which makes sense, as you could never mean x to be different from X.

no problem there. except SOMETIMES, it changes the declaration and all
the instances, just to be extra helpful, so that when you type
	x = 5
the declaration gets changed to
	dim x as 5
and all the Xs in the code become xs.

when this happens, i get thousands of spurious changes in the source
files, and occasionally pointless clashes, and it generally makes my
life a misery.

changing programming language is not an option. sadly. but what would
help would be for some way of telling Subversion that case is
"unimportant" to me - that if there is ever a clash in which one change
is ONLY a change of case, then please ignore it, just take the
interesting change.

advice/sympathy/workaround/agreement that it might be worth logging as a
change request?