Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Scott Gifford <sg...@suspectclass.com> on 2007/04/18 04:20:00 UTC

Authentication Problem

Hello,

I'm having trouble with PerlAuthenHandler.

The symptom is that in a browser (Firefox at least), I'm prompted for
a password the first time I visit a page.  If I enter it incorrectly,
I'm not prompted again, but instead just see the error page.

The cause seems to be that when mod_perl gets an "Authorization"
header in the request, it doesn't supply a "WWW-Authenticate" header
in the response.

Even in a very simple PerlAuthenHandler I see this behavior.  I've
attached an example that shows the problem with this configuration:

    PerlModule Authen::AlwaysFails
    <Directory "/home/sgifford/public_html/authtest">
          PerlAuthenHandler Authen::AlwaysFails
          AuthType          Basic
          AuthName          "GOOD LUCK"
          Require           valid-user
    </Directory>

I'm running on Debian 3.1 (Sarge), using the distribution copies of
Apache 1.3.33, mod_perl 1.27, and perl 5.8.4.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

----Scott.

Re: Authentication Problem

Posted by Scott Gifford <sg...@suspectclass.com>.
Scott Gifford <sg...@suspectclass.com> writes:

[...]

> The cause seems to be that when mod_perl gets an "Authorization"
> header in the request, it doesn't supply a "WWW-Authenticate" header
> in the response.

Nevermind, found it, the solution was to call:

    $r->note_basic_auth_failure();

----Scott.